Trump, I am running the old Wolverine (Blue Racer) cam #WG-1178 in my 250. Its pretty mild but bigger then stock. The bottom end is less then it was, but it pulls better up to my 4800 shift rpm. Adv. dur. 260/270 and at .050" 194/204 110 centerline .464" I / .490" E lift. I recently installed Rhoads lifters which really helped in the idle and low rpm power. I believe this cam was the stock replacement for a 292 or it was the first option in the 292 listing. Larry has a good point about the small and large engine difference. You will be able to run a much bigger 250 cam in a 292 and still get away with a decent idle. Your fuel mileage will suffer once you get away from stock.

My engine is in a '37 Chevy truck with a Lokar shifter mounted to the T350 trans tail housing. With stock lifters, the rough idle would really shake the shifter, to the point I would have to hold it while idling. Since adding the Rhoads lifters, it sits real steady, just as the stock cam did.

In case you don't know about Rhoads hydraulic lifters, they have slots cut in them so at low rpm they bleed off oil, reducing the cam lift and duration. Around 2500 rpm (depends on valve spring pressure) they pump up and work just like stock lifters restoring the cam back to it original lift and duration. Dad and I have been using them for years in our Pontiac's with good results.

I run a 3.08 gear with 235/75R15 radials. I can run down the highway at 70 mph and still get 16 to 17 mpg even with three carburetors, and still pull away from lights pretty quick. Drag strip times are in the 17.90 74 mph range with a 3400 lb truck pushing a ton of air! Not to shabby for a all most stock engine with only 210 cfm worth of carburetors! Joe