My opinion on stock torque converters is this,,if you want your vehicle to launch hard,it is not going to do that if your engine is stock w/a 800-1500 rpm stall torque converter.

My 97 Silverado Extra cab w/a 5.7 V-8 stalls to 1100 RPM,I get a 0-60 ft time of 2.4 seconds & cannot spin the tires. 3.42 gear ratio.
Engine is stock & makes 250 HP & 350 ft lbs of torque.

I know if it had @ least 2000 stall I could bring the 60 ft time down to 2.1- 2.2 range. Which would be a big improvement.

Smaller engines get more stall & they need more stall to get the thing to move.

Stock Vega (4 cylinder) has a 10" converter in it,I think it would stall to 2200-2400 rpm,I put it behind my mild built 250 & it stalled to 2900-3000. Really helped my Camro take off quicker than if I had a 1500 stall.
It did not run hot @ all,it drove like a lower stall converter except when I would hold the brakes & give it some throttle.

My Syclone pickup has a 2100 stall converter that is stock,it can only go that high if & hold the brakes hard & boost it up,otherwise it only goes to 1500-1800 rpms driving normal & never gets hot.

There is such a thing of having too loose a converter,but,the way most co's that build them nowadays,they drive like a lower stall converter unless you hammer on it.
There are inefficient converters & efficient converters,,, shop around wisely for the type that drives like a normal low stall converter untill you hammer the throttle.

For a street car that wants the best of both worlds,I suggest a 4 speed automatic w/a lockup converter. You can have say 2500 (or more) stall when you need it & it can be locked up & still get desent gas mileage.

Guys run in there 7004R's Syclones & Typhoons a 9/11" converter they stall anywhere from 2800-3500,never a complaint about them running too hot. It has an 11" clutch area that locks when engaged.

Now, if you do not care if you run a 2.4- 2.8 60 ft time, then install a 1000 rpm stall converter.

Two cents thrown & then some,take it however you like :-)

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI