Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
I have a listing from an Eggie catalog but It is confusing. I have some Sealed Power and Clevite books too. I guess you have to actually open them! \:D What kind of power can be made with stock GMC rods? How well would the older GMC heads work with forced induction? Is that a good chamber design? Is there a 4 1/8" domed 302 piston? Thanks, Tom
I had seen mentioned that the Ferguson streamliner had gone real high 296 or 7 MPH with a stock but heavily modified GMC head, and only went a couple of MPH's over 300 with the addition of a 12 port head. An OEM head will provide any level of performance you will ever need im sure! The GMC rod is plenty beefy and massive, and could probably take any level of HP you could concieve as well,NA or Forced Induction. Observing several guidelines will help insure longevity and added reliability in them. Naturally, RPM is one of them and getting rid of the 10 lb. piston trying to pull the rod in half is the other. If you choose to stay with the stock GMC rod length, then buying a custom set of race pistons wont hurt your pocketbook too badly. I've seen many NHRA Super Stock 283 pistons weigh just slightly over 300 grams compared to a TRW stlye stock replacement 283 piston of 670ish grams. Those engines will use the same set of rods(OEM small journal) for 3-4 seasons @ 10,500+ RPM with no failures. The 283 piston is going to be real close to the GMC as far as compression hgt. goes for comparison sake. If you are going to get a domed piston, you can always get it blank to maximize your compression and maybe a little cheaper as well. I also have a 302 GMC head I am going to port and develop as well as the 235 head, so far the GMC has much more promising potential for flow, I'll begin to update this week with flow #'s for each to compare against....

Last edited by CNC-Dude; 11/25/08 05:44 PM.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer