OK, here's one for you guys to chew on. I little while ago I bought a CPP Mini Subframe kit for my '64 Nova, and started to do the work to install it about a month ago. The first step in the process is to remove the shock towers and pull the shocks off the car. Pretty simple, right? Just 4 1/4-20 nuts holding each tower on, should take about a minute to zip them off, right? Wrong. Seems that what GM did was to use a special type of carriage bolt that the nuts screw on to that hold the shock tower in place. When I tried to unscrew the nuts, some of them came loose without any problem. The rest, unfortunately, did not. When I put a wrench on them, the entire nut and bolt assembly rotated instead of the nut coming off. So I put a drop or two of Liquid Wrench on each nut and let it soak in for a day, then repeated it every day for a week. No soap, the nuts still wouldn't loosen up any. So I tried using a drop of Marvel Mystery Oil and did that for a week. Still no joy. There is some kind of a lock plate under the shock tower that holds the carriage bolt from turning when the nuts are either tightened or loosened, and these plates have either warped or the slot has opened up enough to let the bolt turn. There is a little rust present, but the nuts and bolts are nowhere near frozen or rusted solid. I've also tried jamming a small screwdriver under the bolt head to try to hold it in place while I unscrewed the nut, but that didn't work either. The bolt still rotated merrily when I tried to unscrew the nut. My next thought is to use a Dremel and cut a slot on one of the flats of the nut, then take a cold chisel and split the nut. I can't just cut the bolts off, because they're a specialty bolt, and god only knows where I could find a new set of them, and I need them to hold the shock towers in place when all this gets reassembled. As of right now, the driver's side tower has one nut I can't get loose, and the passenger side has 3 like that. Anybody have any ideas or have had a similar problem? I could use some advice here.

Formerly known as 64NovaWagon.