Bob,

[/quote]

Beater -

What's a shame is that some people don't realize that the safety sanctioning bodies have a lot more knowledge and experience in keeping racing of all kinds as safe as possible for competitors and spectators.

I got involved in NHRA racing in 1964 and although I haven't enjoyed alot of the changes (bracket racing and other class changes), I realize safety is the number one concern. The sactioning bodies have arrived at these rules from many years of investigating mishaps. They might be better informed than us. If it wasn't for these organizations, there would be no organized racing today.

There's an old saying - if you have a $5 head - wear a $5 helmet!

Bob [/quote]

I think '64 is about the time I let my NHRA membership run out. When they and Hot Rod Magazine began to turn drag racing over to muscle cars and factory race teams I lost interest. It was dirt track for me. Bracket racing is not drag racing. Speed is the number one concern. Getting there safely is some other number. And yes, I have seen my life flash before my eyes somewhere between turn 2 and the wall. You need read no further than the first page of the Bonneville rule book to know that the rules are just guide lines to be applied as the representatives of the sanctioning body see fit. Just a few years ago there were actual exceptions to rules that sounded like they were written by the US Congress.
Unfortunately I agree that without these groups there would be no organized racing today, but that is more about tort law and liability than safety. The members of these groups work tirelessly and thanklessly to preserve their particular racing forms. The shame is, as I said before ,the fun is squeezed out and the price increases beyond the reach of many. Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain