Hi guys. I finally got a chance to check this thread again, and I am really impressed at how much info is available. Thanks to all. Don't worry about hijacking my thread as I am the one benefiting from all the new info. The thread had not been added to in a while when I found it, and now it has taken off again.
I have now secured my Hudson rods.
I'll be using 400 small block pistons with as much pop up as I can find and then milling to suit. I am aiming for 12:1, maybe 13:1 for B'ville.
I also plan to use 3 carter side draft carb (from the big rat pile in the shop) and want a manifold. I've use them before with good results.
Re: rod ratio. I might as well put in my two bits also. My intro to the subject was from Mickey Thompson, who told me to read what Smokey wrote on the subject. "make em as long as you can"
I built VWs for 20 years. The stock ratio is 1.9. I used 5.7 283" rods with great success. Ratio was 2.1!!! Awsum midrange torque. The longer dwell at TDC and piston speed discussions are always interesting, but dyno sheets tell the tale. I'll post a couple when I dig them out.
My reasoning on this engine is mostly based on reciprocating weight reduction. These Jimmy pistons are Monsterous!!
The mushroom tappets are another VW favorite, and there are pre drilled aftermarkets with an even larger diameter. They allowed major duration/lift increases without the lobe running off the edge of the lifter. (Smokey liked them too).
Lucky for me Elgin is located right here in town.
I'd better save something for my next post. Thanks again guys, and Regards,Wilbur

49 fastback bonneville project
51 club coupe street hot rod
50 ford taildragger
flthd roadster pu