Hi Fellas,

Some may remember my post from a couple of months ago "261 teardown and reassembly" detailing my low mile 261 and conversion to full flow oiling. Well after the teardown and trip to the machine shop, it wasn't in as good shape as I had hoped. The bores were tapered and the rod bearings and crank were out of spec.

So after a .030" overbore, .010" crank regrind, new pistons, rings, main, rod and cam bearings, and reconditioned rods, I'm ready to put this thing back together!

I picked up everything last Friday in a rush and finally got to look over my parts collection this weekend. Everything looks great but I noticed the machinist did not deck the block.

I put a straight edge (not a machinist's straight edge) across the block every which way today, and noticed two places I could slide a .002" feeler gauge under the straight edge. This bothered me a little so I looked in my shop manual to try and find specs on this, but came up empty.

So my question is should I take the block back to the machinist and have it decked, or is .002" perfectly acceptable? The block is bare however the new cam bearings have been installed. The machinist who did the work is very experienced with vintage engines and has built several 261s that I know of.

Any opinions are, as always, greatly appreciated!