I expect lots of questions as it's hard to address everything in the first post.

Performance/mileage: The Mopar had a manual "overdrive" 4gear. It was first converted to propane, and then turbo'd. I used an old Clayton chassis dyno and did gas baseline(106RWHP), then set up the propane (96RWHP), and then did the turbo(158RWHP)@7.5lbs manifold pressure. It never suffered any detonation issues and I kept it @ stock timing. We were at the limits of our mixer. On the same dyno, a good running 350Chev would produce 155-160RWHP. Mileage with that car was allround 19-20 with occasional +/- 1or 2. Boost would come on about as fast as the throttle compressed the carpet and max by 2200. I was quite pleased with it overall. The car had about 15k miles when I put the turbo on it, near 250K when I sold it, and I was approached at a car show by the present owner who claims it's over 500K now. That what good clean fuel will do.

My first Chev was a 250 I put together with forged pistons, 1.94/1.6valves, and a cam I had Delta grind up. It was symetrical 204@.050/.502. I used an SU off a L4 Land Cruiser that had the same throttle bore as the size of the compressor inlet. After turning at least a dozen needles, and mucking with jet sizes for days we achieved 11.6AFR @wot, and a cruise of 14AFR. The engine was installed in a 64Nova. Using a Vega torque converter, it would instantly light'm. Took it to Bremerton raceway running with 7.5 boost and it ran 14.00s at 103. It would not hookup so the time was slow compared to MPH. Later we built a boost control bypass by bleeding off some of the pressure to the boost diaphram. We ran into detonation so I rigged a windsheild washer w/pump activated by a hobbs switch set to 5lbs. I adjusted the flow rate through a little brass needle valve I got at a the fish store to adjust air in a fish tank. I found that too much water put the fire out. We never took it back to the strip, but we did hit as much as 16 lbs manifold pressure with the boost control inop, and it hit that by about 2600. I didn't try alky, just water. It was scarry fast from the passenger seat as the car had lousy shocks and no suspension upgrades. At least I was terrified.
Mileage could have been good, but it spent a lot of time in boost. Also, I used a distributor vacumm advance unit from Dale Manufacturing that was made as an upgrade for a turbo Corvair. It had about 10 degrees of pressure retard as well as 12degrees of advance.
I've never used a blow through so I can't compare, but they do work pretty good as draw throughs, and it's simple to do. I haven't used the pontiac unit, and do to a computor failure, many pictures I can't retrieve.

Last edited by Greybeard; 01/22/11 01:08 PM.

'37 Master Deluxe 2dr sedan
'66 Elcamino, 250, 3sp OD
http://greybeard.shutterfly.com/