Do any of you guys know of a way to add an overdrive to an old GM manual tranny (saginaw or muncie)? I turn like 3000rpm going 70 on the highway and not only do I not think that's good for the engine but i'm pretty sure that doesn't help gas mileage either. I'm going to be going to college soon and I really wouldn't like to risk problems with running relatively high rpms on long trips too and from when I visit back home. Do you guys have any ideas? and no, I don't want to just stick a tremec in there. I want to use my original column shifter so it has to have the linkages on the side for an external shifter (like in a saginaw or muncie). I just want 1-4 on the column and I can make shifters on the floor for reverse and OD.

This transmission would be absolutely perfect for what I need but they go for about $2500 by themselves (same price I actually paid FOR MY WHOLE CAR) so it's a little bit out of my price range. But it has the Overdrives like I need and it is a "rod transmission" I think is how it's called? (it has the linkages for it to be shifted via rods...

So any ideas on how to not turn serious rpms while keeping the 3 on the tree setup would be great... Thanks guys...

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.