Whats a "PM"

Many times lower gearing will help keep one out of the power stage of the carb and result in better milage

Driving slower is also a solution to "excessive" rpm

3.55s are not drag racing ratios in Texas

Why not suggest some 33" tires and a 2.56 axle, this, with a steady light trottle may approach say 87 mpg. and allow you plenty of time (and load) to spool up the old hairdryer and not need an o/d thus saving money

Nobody said anything about using a PowerGlide, only the ratio for a PowerGlide car

Frank could have adapted a Packard (floor shifted or column shifted) o/d tranny (w/ synchro low as early as 1939) to the old torque tube cars, while never turboing any cars he did drive in an Indy 500 and provide us with products/info to place many flathead V8 in our old stovebolts' rear view mirrors

Chevy began offering o/ds as options in 1955 (which is pre '62)

Ivory soap is mild too

When I was 16 years old I was replacing the first of 5 standard trannys that my ol' 261 began to eat, I had a paper route at that time, when I got my Chevy ll I was going to college and working part time as a blueprint boy for 25 dollars a week, I know all about wealth

Paleaze-what is the efficent rpm zone if not 3000 rpm

Bert Monro (the fastest indian) used to FILE himself connecting rods outta old catipillar treads - four speeds and a reverse on the column is not impossible - guys in high school used to make their own floor shifters outta old 40s and early 50s Ford column shifter units, just need to lengthen the shaft and add another lever and linkage (gimme a Hurst any day)... where there's a will... etc.,etc.,etc.

A 3.42 axle with a .70 od will bring the o/a ratio to 2.39 and I doubt if the carb would EVER get out of power circuit short of going down a hill.

In the nonmodern years o/ds usually were complimented with 4.11 gearing resulting in a final drive of 2.88 and buddy you needed flat land and a lot of throttle to maintain 70 mph. In 1963 chevy used 3.70 as their o/d rear gear (o/a gearing 2.59)in their big cars, sixes would then need constant downhill to maintain 70 mph

Going from a suspected 26" tire to a 28" tire would result in an approximation of a 3.18 rear gear with the 26" tire,or about a 7%
rpm reduction at any given speed. Of course with those tires on the rear, the car would think its going downhill all the time.

It aint mine, so do what you want to...as Rick said "You cant please everyone, you got to please yourself"