Quote:
I am of the opinion that the op should be the one to decide what he can and cannot afford. It is not our job to be practical FOR him. He DID ask about transmissions and overdrive units. If he changes his mind over & over & over AND is happy with the final decision/results due to information that he gleaned from our posts, then isn't that all any of us can ask for? I would like to think so. Besides, maybe he is inquiring so he knows what to ask for as a birthday gift. Who knows. Even if he dosen't actually buy any thing we are suggesting, the knowledge alone can help in making educated decisions and/or priortizing. With the economy the way that it is, knowledge is at a premium.

Thank you very much. That is EXACTLY why I ask so many questions about different things so I can make an educated purchase when I finally get the money.

I've been haranguing the guy to FINALLY send me the holley 390 and offy intake and I'm pretty sure he'll FINALLY send it on saturday...

As it comes to what I can afford guys, I got a job about 2 months ago at a body shop and I make $8 an hour and I work 6-10 hours a week and it's increasing recently so I'll hope to work a considerably large amount of my summer. I make about $50-70 a week as it is and as it will be until summer (but I also have random expenses so not ALL of it is car money).

As for transmissions, I've been looking at old used tremecs like the 3450, 3550, and the TKOs on craigslist. I've found a few for $400 or $500 so that should be affordable past halfway through the summer. I'm not very faithful in the power of only having 3 gears (because the 4th converted to overdrive). I just know that in my current situation, my engine is a dog all the way through 3rd gear. I get great power in first, good power in second, and then NOTHING in 3rd. I don't know if that will be gapped once I get my turbo setup (moar torque!) but as it is, I REALLY feel I should have a 4th gear to bridge the gap between my 2nd and 3rd. I already planned putting 1-4 on my column and then reverse (or reverse and OD) on a separate lever through the floor so fabbing up that and cutting the holes for that isn't a big deal.

Last edited by snowman4839; 04/07/11 11:11 PM.

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.