This is a project that you need to research throughly before you do anything. I suppose that this thread is part of that. Good start. You seem to be doing some at other sources as well. The toughest thing is to be honest with yourself about how this build will be used and build for that. You can spend a ton of money to build a powerful engine that you won't want to drive several times a week on the street.

If it were my project : #1. It would never get finished. \:D #2. I'd build it using stock rods and custom forged pistons. At 8.5" you are not likely to find a better off the shelf rod. Yours can probably be helped a little. #3. I'd start with the stock head and see what can be gained with it. #4. I'd see what improvement could be made with careful port work and bigger valves. #5. I'd run multiple carbs, probably 4 Zenith single bbls with the thought to a blow through McCulloch supercharger. #6. I'd run a long tube header designed to work with the other stuff. #7. I'd sit down with a cam grinder and work out a cam grind that would make this package work. #8. I'd fire it with an electronic ignition. I'd make it all as old school as possible and still do what it needs to do. It's had to be specific without really knowing the Packard 8. This from a guy who has been sitting on a 413" Dodge flathead six for years.

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 09/27/13 02:33 PM.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain