Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
I got into this mess while trying to find pistons for my 153 4 cylinder build. Same combo as a 230. When I threw a 181 Mercruiser crank in the mix the 307 pistons came into play. The stock pistons were .050" down the bore. I got a few sets that should have worked but all came up shorter than expected. That could be the .010 discussed earlier as a rebuilder cushion. The chamfer on some are way more than the valve cuts and are more equal to the dishes. I go a set of tlowe's 250 pistons but still need to get them on the 181 rods so I can measure. Any way I have a couple of sets of rebuilder 307s for cheap.

I got a lot of people on the NastyZ28.com forum asking me about my L6 Camaro, thinking of getting or doing something similar for an economical daily driver car and saving their V8 car for weekends or racing. But the 153cid sounds like it might be a good alternative for a daily driver. You can hook it up to a TH350 and I presume it fits on the same motor mounts as the V8/L6 with just a lot of space between the radiator and the pulleys. I should make that suggestion to them.