Thanks Hank and Deuce!
That's good info. I will probably not be spending much time in the upper rpm range anyway. And with this combo, the Offy probably sounds like the better choice. I plan on using a T-5, just not sure which OD yet, .72, .76, or .86. Any one of them would work. I guess it's just which decent one I find first. I have a 8.5" 10 bolt with 3.42 posi already installed in the truck. I'll be using about a 28-29" tall tire...225/75-15 or 235/75-15. We have cold winters here but we have pretty hot summers too. Even still, seems like for mid range punch, the Offy might have it.

I just got back from the machine shop to drop off all my parts and talk with the machinist. We decided on 1.84" int valves and 1.50" exh valves. He's going to unshroud around the sides of the valves a bit for better flow, but when we put both a 1.94 valve in and a 1.60 valve in to see how much unshrouding would be needed, he wouldn't be able to do much without getting into the head gasket area. Since he's been doing heads for like 40 years, we both thought that the slight increase in valve size and limited amount of unshrouding wouldn't be anymore beneficial than just doing unshrouding and using the slightly smaller valves. There would be more area around the valves for more airflow with the 1.84/1.50 combo. He can do some bowl blending and smooth out the radiuses and get a great flow in conjunction with the lump ports.

Should be a strong midrange with this setup I think.

Last edited by 47Thriftmaster250; 06/23/14 04:52 PM.

Projects:
1947 Chevy 3100 Thriftmaster - 255 L6/5spd
1970 Chevy Camaro - 406/T56 Mag - Pro-touring