Over the years I have run 235 cams that are generally in the 480 lift 278-280 duration, with the most recent 261 build at 292 lift and 278 duration, all street motors, occasionally a trip down the strip--very occasionally these days. These are what I would call large cams that do not begin to make power until 1800 rpm. I like a lot of rumpty rump with my cams and am willing to deal with the higher rpm needs, rough and higher idle, a little more maintenance in terms of adjusting valves, and the added wear and tear these cams will exert on the other components. That being said, I had a Chet Herbert regrind, 280/480 (I still have the receipt that says R31 grind but to be honest I don't know whether they sent me a cam ground by someone else or not. Remember the ads, regrind any cam 39.95. That is how I got it) that I put in a 235 motor in 1986 that I still have and that I was fairly hard on and never had a moments problem with. But the fact is, like the others have stated, you need some gear to make them work. A 3:08 will not get you there in any way shape or form. What you will have is a fat lazy pig, that can not get out of its own way, at least in my very humble opinion. You are correct in thinking that a 9 for a first gear multiplier is about right (so it does not suprise me you are starting out in second gear). So maybe you can get away with it. I actually think you need to be in a slightly higher, numerically, range, 3:20 something, 3:55. I have always run 3:55-4;11 gears with these cams. That being said, you are saddled with a couple of realities with these motors. They do not really like a lot of rpm and the rods are not really good past 5500 rpm. I have gone higher but it always worried me. The stock head essentially runs out of air around 5200-5300 rpm, maybe even a little lower, at least in my experience. The exhaust flow stalls around .300 and then picks up because of a little bump in the exhaust chamber. Other issues too. I think you probably want something with a good lift, reasonable duration and an appropriate overlap. One of the better resources you might consider for cams is Schneider cams in San Diego. Still in business, ask for Jerry Cantrell, he has done a lot of these cams over the years and can give you very good advice as to what you should consider. He has done the last couple of my cams, can do regrinds. Just some random thoughts.

Last edited by mdonohue05; 06/10/15 11:43 AM.