let me add the info on the build the rear or final gear ratio is 3:70:1 ford 9" I plan to use a 30" tire with 15 " chromed wheel in a truck build that is a Dakota chassis modified to fit a 1957 GMC short bed truck with a flat bed built for this cab and chassis the weight will be around 3200 LBS I have a Allison 545 4 speed automatic transmission so the engine build I want to have at least a 4500 RPM red line preferably 5000 and be able to use mostly around town but can jump on the highway and run 80 MPH with out the engine running a high rpm to maintain the speed I am looking to build the 302 to this build to have good low engine torque and high torque threw out the power band and have a reliably long lasting build that performs well so the 4X4 with 7 " rod is good for that but wanted to increase the top end RPM and how fast it revved up but also have the low end torque My understanding was that ther longer rod in a inline six will add torque with less effort from the engine and help with fuel consumption and be able to maintain a automatic transmission at all speeds !