Thanks to all for your input.

Yes. I did try moving them around. Basically I end up with 2 good (assuming 0.0020" is acceptable), 2 not so good, and 2 pretty tight:

Min Cyl Dia. 3.8112 3.8113 3.8113 3.8114 3.8115 3.8115

Piston Dia. 3.8090 3.8095 3.8100 3.8100 3.8105 3.8105

Clearance 0.0022 0.0018 0.0013 0.0014 0.0010 0.0010

I have pretty much reconciled myself to the fact that I will be going back to the machine shop. The question is just how much clearance to shoot for.

While this is not a performance motor, it will be pulling a relatively heavy load around (truck weighs 10K lbs.) So, it seems more likely that it will incur higher piston temperatures than, perhaps, a normal PU truck.

I know the cast pistons, especially the hypereutectic alloys, expand less than their forged or less-alloyed counterparts, but 0.001 just makes me feel uneasy.

Thx again....


Last edited by Crowbar; 10/15/18 01:47 PM.