Originally Posted By: Keroppi

Originally Posted By: stock49
I have a feeling that the serial number on your particular block was transferred there from another engine.

I think that's possible, but don't know how probable it is. Everything seems to check out on the VIN with what is on the cowl plate, located on the passenger side, the VIN of my truck is 14DPF2135. It's hard to read the 14 in the beginning but is there. I haven't tried to remove any paint yet, there's Rustoleum slathered over the entire truck, both green and black. I kinda like the patina and plan to leave it as-is on the outside.

The '14' prefix indicates that the truck was assembled in Baltimore - the 'F' indicates a June build. The fact that the VIN is intact on the truck and matches the Title creates an unsolvable puzzle. Why did someone go to the trouble to transfer the engine serial number from a '42 216 to a circa '56 235?

The block cannot be original to truck - even with consistent serial numbers.

We know this to be true because a 3836848 head has 18 head bolts. Blocks from the earlier '37 to '53 design had just 15 head bolts. There is no interchange.