The number you posted looks like the one stamped into the flat by the distributer. The first three digits are the displacement of the engine. the next digits tell a use code. That is helpful but the cast number is on the driver side of the block block near the middle just above where the pan bolts on. Check that number on the casting number chart and you can see what you have and what head went with it. I think '55-'63 and you'll want the small port D chamber head.

Bill Fisher, in his book, recommended the small port heads for the street. While the large port heads were best for all out racing most driving is not done at wide open throttle and the small ports provide plenty of flow for normal driving even with a heavy foot and a lot of mods. They all had the same size valves so the large ports can flow more than the valves. I think you can go all the way to 2' intakes but this would lower velocity of the fuel mixture and possibly allow the fuel to separate. Al least it is inefficient. The smaller ports keeps the volicity up.
You can go to 1.87 or 1.94 intakes and 1.50-1.60 exhaust valves and get a good flowing street head. Small block valves and springs work with some work. I think they are a little shorter. If you have the stamped and welded rockers they are plenty strong. You can shave the head about .035" if it hasn't already been done. The block can be decked but I don't remember how much. This will raise the compression maybe to around 9 to 1 or a bit better. The pistons you have are most likely stock replacements and quite heavy by today's standards but will be fine on the street. That is what mine has.Two one barrel carbs and headers will bring it alive. Find a good cam that will do what you want. It is important to be honest with yourself about what the engine will REALLY be asked to do. A truck does different work than a Bonneville racer. I suppose you will be somewhere in between.What is your engine going into? What will you use it for?

Go to the "casting numbers" window at the left of the forum page and find your number.

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 11/05/19 02:55 PM.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain