So you are suggesting that the throttling of the water pump is the sole source for system pressure? Not the pressure created by superheating the water?

A system has a equilibrium temperature that changes based on the ambient temperature and the heat output of the engine. The thermostat allow the temperature of the system to be higher and warm.up faster than the equilibrium temperature when the equilibrium temperature is lower than the desired system temperature. This temperature may need to be raised to help remove condensation from the oil, allow heat in the passenger compartment, allow for more consistant temperature for fuel system tuning for Max mpg. If the radiator is undersized, lacks air flow, high ambient temperature or the engine load is much higher than design, the system will "overheat". Some systems may need this throttling in flow but I do not believe the system is in a constant state of starting and stopping and that a thermostat bypass is used for anything up more than allowing min pump flow to prevent cavitation during start up, and thermostat holes also allow egressed air to escape at start up.

BUT, I will also say that if you have good experience doing things your way and are happy with the results you should keep doing that. I appreciate the lifter help and all of the conversations around inline engines and vintage hot rodding. I am surprised by the people who think the only vintage hot rod engine is a flat head.

Thanks
John