Originally Posted By: TraditionalToolworks
Originally Posted By: Twisted6
ALL the heads will inner change 230,250,292 all being semi close to in CCs the 194 Has the smallest CCs. On a Stock bore 194 The other heads can drop the compression. Was as the 194 put On the other block can Up the compression But even More so If a Flat top piston is used which get you into the 10-1 range , BUT a 292 with a flat top can PUT you at 12-1 or over.

Thanks for explaining it that way, I really didn't know, but I do know the 230 and 250 are newer, but the 230 must be the evolution of a different line than the 216/235/261, but was there anything between those or is the 230 the redesigned 216? Or better stated were the 230/250/292 lumped together, was that the 2nd generation going from 216/235/261 ???

Originally Posted By: Twisted6
As for the 230 in 64 it was not in The ChevyII at least Not in either chevyII/Nova book I have it did not come into play till 65 But I do believe it was in the 64SS chevelles at that time They also came with many Chrome goodies as well.

That's interesting as the Beaumont, which was the Chevelle marketed in Canada, had either a 194/230/250 inline 6s offered, but most wanted the V8 models, so my guess is there was very few Inline 6s in them at that point. They did have the 230 and 250 in the trucks I think during the 60s, but same thing, V8s seemed to being pushed.

Last comment is you mentioned about lower compression with the larger heads. That's kind of cool in the sense that depending how one was to build their engine and/or crank, you could get better tuning with the head, that's pretty cool in itself. Never thought about it in that sense.

EDIT: Larry, the plot thickens, I mentioned the Acadian above which was Canada's Chevy II. From the Beaumont webpage, it states:

"In 1964 and 1965, GM of Canada sold an "Acadian Beaumont" based on the Chevelle A-body platform, and continued to sell the Chevy II-based Acadian."

What is so interesting about this is they seem to be doing some testing in Canada in trying to formulate a game plan for their model line. Not unusual for an odd stamp like the 3788378. My family owned a liquor store just around the corner from the GM South Gate plant. I think they were making Impalas during the 60s. And they did offer a 230 I6 in the Impala as I recall, but most people wanted the V8s and the 327s were offered in the Impalas for a while, also in the Chevelle. Anyway, those GM workers would come in and cash their checks on Thursdays and they were always joking about extra nuts and bolts in their overall pockets... smirk

Don't forget, Canada also offered a 215 version of this 6 cylinder also that seems could have had the 194 cylinder head on it because of its smaller cylinder bores....

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer