Thanks for the reply. Rock auto also shows the same fuel pump interchanging between early 70's trucks that came with either the 250 or the 292. I asked because I found two older fuel pumps that I'm hopping I can rebuild. One is an AC and the other looks like a Carter. The rebuild kits are kind of pricey, but my fingers are crossed they will live longer if I rebuild them myself. I've been reading a lot about the off-shore pumps not lasting very long. If there is a "favorite" place you like to get your fuel pump rebuild kits, I would really appreciate the referral. I'm new to all of this stuff...

Thanks for the water pump picture! My concern is less about the pump length from the block face to the fan hub, but more concerned about if a water pump intended for a 250 is OK to run on a 292. I do not have both styles of pumps here to compare the impeller on the back (the business end of the pump).

I did learn more about these pumps in regard to their lengths. There are 4 common lengths found on the 250: 3 1/8", 3 11/16", 3 7/8", and 4 1/4".

The 292 truck engines came in 3 common lengths: 3 15/16", 4 3/8", and 4 1/2".

Source where I found the water pump lengths: Flow Cooler

I'm going to send the good folks at "Damper Dudes" some pictures of the harmonic damper on the later 292 engine I bought and see what he thinks. I still think it's from a 250 engine. It's a large 3 belt pulley type, but not like any 292 harmonic balancer I can find online.

David #6714

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.