Inliners International
Posted By: stock49 C.A.W. Valve Cover on eBay - 01/18/14 01:25 PM
Greetings . . .

Spotted this on eBay yesterday:
C.A.W. Valve Cover

The markings seem a bit strange compared to others I have seen:

and the one I own:

The differences in type faces used and the indented 'pat pend' are curious.

I guess there was more than one casting . . . till now every other one I have seen was identical to mine:
Inliners post circa '06

regards,
stock49
Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: C.A.W. Valve Cover on eBay - 01/18/14 03:43 PM
It wasn't uncommon for the early parts casters to change font style as they went into production. Edelbrock stuff started out as block letters and then latter changed to the familiar script style seen on their products today. The early block letter parts bring more money because of them being the earlier castings.
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: C.A.W. Valve Cover on eBay - 01/18/14 10:02 PM
If that was for a GMC I'd buy it. Finless is cool.
Posted By: will6er Re: C.A.W. Valve Cover on eBay - 01/20/14 11:18 PM
I came across one that had the "patent number" embossed and another that had the patent number embossed.

Will Willis
Posted By: will6er Re: C.A.W. Valve Cover on eBay - 01/20/14 11:18 PM
I came across one that had the "patent number" embossed and another that had the patent number embossed.

Will Willis
Posted By: will6er Re: C.A.W. Valve Cover on eBay - 01/20/14 11:26 PM
Let me try this again.

The one I had for a short time had the patent number.
You can find the original patent papers on the web.

Will
Posted By: stock49 Re: C.A.W. Valve Cover on eBay - 01/20/14 11:40 PM
Thanks Will . . .

I did not know that this design was eventually patented. Many over the years have used the 'patent pending' language to prevent copying without ever bothering to follow through and apply for the patent.

It also unlocks the mystery of the initials C.A.W. short for "Charles A Wefing" . . .
C.A.Wefing Patent circa '52

Your post made my evening!

regards,
Keith
Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: C.A.W. Valve Cover on eBay - 01/21/14 04:56 AM
 Originally Posted By: stock49
Many over the years have used the 'patent pending' language to prevent copying without ever bothering to follow through and apply for the patent.

Its not advisable for someone to do that today, its a felony to put the words patent pending on a product when you really don't.
It looks like his primary concern with his patent was noise suppression.
Posted By: will6er Re: C.A.W. Valve Cover on eBay - 01/21/14 11:43 PM
Beater-
I mentioned this to a friend at breakfast this morning, and he said that he had seen one for a GMC.

There's hope!
Will
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: C.A.W. Valve Cover on eBay - 01/22/14 01:55 AM
The good thing is that the stock GMC valve covers look good. I have a Wayne that came from someone's race cover that I have never used, but I like the C.A.W. a lot. Thank for the tip Will.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board