Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
Should be a NP-a833 not a NP-435

I just finished rebuilding my a833 and have been getting close to putting it behind my 292, but keep running into hurdles. My shifter had been welded internally and I couldn't get it into OD. The bell was cracked and 2 of the holes the theads were stripped. Haven't pulled the truck apart yet. I found another bell and shifter, fortunately.

It sounds like you've done your homework, hopefully you're starting with a better setup than what I bought.

To answer your question, no I don't think it would be worth trying to modify your existing bell to work with this tranny. The mating surface would have to be built up and machined down where you need the bolt holes. Some of the scatter shields may be a possibility though...

B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
Tulsa 6, Thanks for the info.Sorry to say I had to let the OD tranny go. \:\( Before I met the dude that was sellin' it, I took every conceivable measurement I could think of off my saginaw 3 spd. Shifter mount location,Crossmember mount location,speedo cable hook-up,double checked length of case,length of input shaft.Then took my cast iron bell to compare it with the aluminum one that goes with the OD unit. ;\) Long story short...You're exactly right.it would be very difficult to modify the exsisting bell to work with this tranny.Not that it couldn't be done,but in my modest(read,lack of expertise)opinion,it wouldn't be worth the aggrivation,and or,expense. .Also,my original post on this subject indicated that this trans came out of a 4x4 P/U.I couldn't find a speedo cable hook up anywhere on the case.The guy told me it hooks up to the transfer case. So that deal went down the tubes real quick.So,the search goes on....for now I would be happy to just find a plain ol' sag or muncie 4 spd.
A blessed Christmas to all,

Frank
-------------
'69 Chevy C-20
292 4 spd. OD Offy intake Edelbrock 500cfm long tube headers 4:56 rears
GMDad Offline OP
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Frank, how did you make out with your trans purchase? Is it the correct one.

Ontario Inliners
1965 Chevelle
1940 Chev
1965 Chev Pick-up
1970 MGB Roadster

B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
GMDad, Nope.Sorry to say,there were too many hurdles to overcome with mismatched bolt patterns(stock SBC bell vs. newer type circular bell)for mating trans to bellhousing.I like my stock bell housing better.Also ,the trans itself lacks a hook up for the speedo cable,so I had to let it go.See my comments in post above yours.

Frank
-------------
'69 Chevy C-20
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
I think I've located an 833 to replace the 465 in my 68 C20. I read thru this thread and I don't have a good idea what shifter this tranny uses. Will any shifter for a Muncie or Saginaw bolt up to it? Also it seems like at least once a year I end up hauling a car trailer with a truck or big car on it. Will the trans hold up if I stay out of OD? The trans that I'm hopefully going to pck up has an aluminum case if that makes a diffrence.
Happy Holidays,
Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
Larry, As long as you have the tranny case with the side mount standard linkage rod set-up you should be OK.Check for three threaded holes on the tailshaft housing (triangular pattern)then any Muncie or Saginaw shifter should work.As for pulling a trailer,I'm not sure.These trannys have very similar gear ratios to a 3 spd. saggy.I would suggest reading through ALL the posts on this thread so you will have a good idea of what you're looking at.(There are 2 pages on this thread)Then if you still have questions maybe someone with experience with these trannys can help you out.As for me, I still would love to find one with the correct bolt pattern to use with my cast iron bell.The one I located just didn't have what I was looking for.
Hope it works for you. \:\)

Frank
-------------
'69 Chevy C-20
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
frank, they did make these trannies in 2 or 4 wheel drive applications. if needed i have a bunch of these trannies, either kind. anyone can give me a shout if they want one. tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
Tom, I may very well be interested....right now I'm kinda getting into the Christmas spirit so all my energy is focused on that. I will email you after the 1st of the year. Blessings,

Frank
-------------
'69 Chevy C-20
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
larry, email me and i'll get you a picture of the shifter. they are simuliar to a hurst but with a real long handle. also the shifter adapter sets the shifter about 4' taller than a shifter would sit on a muncie or saginaw. perfect for a truck. tom

Inliner Member 1716

S
Contributor
Contributor
S
how "tough" are these transmissions? like..comparable to the fairly bullet proof sm465.

also. whats the deal with the 4wd ones? could they use the same front axle and everything as in my '69?

anyone out there all knowing?

thanks, sam.

1967 Chevy II, 2-door post.
250, 3-OTT.

1969 GMC 1/2-ton.
307, 3-OTT.
DD.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
they use the same main case on the tranny, but with a different tailshaft and housing. it looks like they bolt dirrectly to the xfer case. should be a drop in for your 69. i've got two of those and six or seven two wheel drive types. chevy thought they were tough enough to put in full size 1/2 ton trucks, what does that tell you. they are not as tough as the sm465 though. tom

Inliner Member 1716

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
The word I just got from Hurst/Mr.Gasket is they don't make a shifter for Chevy trucks with the a833.

Tom, You have a PM

Larry

J
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
J
somtimes you can put the shifter pieces together for your application.I had to do this on mine Hurst didn't offer the combination for my truck ,I bought the head and rods off E-bay and the shifter handle from summit racing.Most handles are interchangable.

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
jgrh64, That's what I intended to do, I was hopeing for some part numbers from Hurst. Do you remember what your pieces went too. The part that kinda throws me is the plate thatbolts to the trans. Can I bolt any shifter to the plate or does it have to be a shifterfor a Mopar?
Larry

T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
The Hurst shifter body I just pieced together has the number 0210331F on it. I bought it off ebay and the seller didn't know what it came off of. I was able to tell that it was the same as the original shifter that came with my tranny because of the position of the outside shifter plate - it looks almost like an "L" - the dodge hurst just point straight down. The original shifter didn't say hurst on it anywhere, and it had 2 springs visible from the top. The hurst shifters springs are internal.

At the same time, I bought a shifter with linkage from a dodge truck of the same vintage with an a833. Unfortuanately, the alignment and the linkage are completely different. GM didn't use hurst's linkage, and the linkage from the dodge seems of better quality (probably hurst), but you need the original linkage from the GM a833, or be prepared to custom bend your own. The dodge shifter body # is 10810211c best as I can tell - the first 3 numbers aren't stamped as hard.

See URL for pics:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=1525992#post1525992

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
Tulsa,Thanks for the link that answered a lot of my questions and saves me alot of scrounging in the yards. It looks like what Mopar did was to put three threaded mounting holes on the tail shaft. Then when ever they needed to reposition the shifter they made a new plate off those three holes. Now the question I have is. In your last pic on the link (no not the bell hsg.) the one with the shifter and grey plate. Can you bolt the Hurst to the grey plate using the two holes already there. I sent you a PM.
Larry

T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
LGrffin - sorry, I haven't been on here in awhile -

"In your last pic on the link (no not the bell hsg.) the one with the shifter and grey plate. Can you bolt the Hurst to the grey plate using the two holes already there."

Yes hurst shifter bolts to the the grey plate without modification.

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
I ended up with a Mr. Gasket, looks like a Hurst. :rolleyes: I will bolt to the mounting plate with a little help. The other problem is the plate is bent up over the top of the tail housing. Mounting the shifter directly to the plate means the reverse lever interfers with the plate. Using a spacer will solve the problem and the amount of rod bending that has to be done. btw Mr. Gasket was off ????
Larry

T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
I looked for a shifter from Hurst and Mr. Gasket but couldn't find one that would work with a truck 4 speed. Maybe the universal 3 speed truck shifter could be modified to work with a 4 speed? Now I'm curious what shifter you found?

The shifter in the original configuration mounts about 1/2" left of the tail-housing. Seems to allow room for the linkage. Even the shifter from the dodge truck sat left of the tail-housing, though not as far offset. I recall seeing a mounting plate that was bent over the top of the tail housing before, but don't know how it compares to what I've got.

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
I'm not sure what Mr. Gasket I've got. There are some numbers on it, if you want them. I picked up another shifter today out of a Dodge Van, must be like the truck, it's bent away from the tail housing. Now the question is which one will be the easier cut on the hump. When I get a little further along I'll take some pics.
Larry

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 279 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave
6,788 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available