Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
56er #50930 06/27/09 06:31 PM
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
strokersix,
I am not that good @ explaining camshaft traits. But I have tried more agressive soild camhafts over the hyd cams I have used & could always get by w/more duration on the solids. More streetable.

I believe that is why they made Rhodes lifters,people did not want to adjust there solid lifter cams that often,but they wanted the top end power still.

I have had sets of those also BTW (Rhodes lifters) ,,trying to make good streetable power,having good top end,& desent vacuum.

When all the trials I have had with camshafts,it was worth it for me to have to adjust the valve lash once in a while to get the power I was looking for while still getting desent vacuum (I got all of this with solid lifter camshafts)

I said it correctly though. It's not backwards.

If you have a soild camshaft of 220 degress duration & a hyd cam with 210 degrees duration, w/all other specs being the same,lift,lobe center line etc,,they (the camshafts will idle close to the same as eachother. Pull the same amount of vacuum.

But,,,you will make more power & have a quicker reving engine w/a solid lifter camshaft.

Therefore ,you can get away w/a more agressive camshaft profile w/a solid lifter camshaft..

Soild lift cams has faster ramp rates,& solid roller camshafts have even a faster ramp rate than a solid cam.

Another thing you can do w/soild lifter camshafts is you can play around w/the valve lash,,,to give you less bottom end,more top end etc,sorta like adavancing or retarding your camshaft w/an offset crank key or the three way keyed gear sets or the fully adjustable ones that are made in Argentina IIRC?

BTW,,,
I did not know George was looking to turbocharge his 292????
I thought it is a N.A. engine.

I must have missed it.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
Duration figures are tappet lift, not valve opening. Solid must take up lash before the valve opens, hydraulic opens the valve right away. This would explain how a 220 @.050 solid will idle like a 210 @.050 hydraulic.

Do I have that right?

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
I give up.
Any one else care to explain? I'm no good @ this. Sorry

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: strokersix
Duration figures are tappet lift, not valve opening. Solid must take up lash before the valve opens, hydraulic opens the valve right away. This would explain how a 220 @.050 solid will idle like a 210 @.050 hydraulic.

Do I have that right?
I think that is a fairly close comparison. If both cams, a hyd. and solid cam have 220 @.050 duration, you would check each with zero lash. At the lobe they would appear to be the same with 220 @.050, but once you would add the lash to the solid cam, it will loose some amount of duration, because of the slack you have now introduced into it. The hydraulic cam will still retain its original "as checked" duration readings, since it was checked in the same manner of lash that it runs in. Hope that helps explain a little better....

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 258 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available