Rate Thread
#69309 04/04/12 09:37 PM
W
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
W
I did this in the 70s, It came from the 186" gas 6
I made the manifold, used v8 injectors and a larger throttle body.
It ran good, but not great until Ak Millers shop modified the pump rack. Then it hauled ass!
The whole rig looked very similar to an installation Ak did in a Mustang.
I know he ran that car at B'ville
I have lost my loose leaf binder on that engine build.
Does anyone know what the modification to the pump rack was, and who might be able to do the mod?
I have one more set of Bosch parts AND just fell into a 300 inch 6
Regards, W.

49 fastback bonneville project
51 club coupe street hot rod
50 ford taildragger
flthd roadster pu
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I can't help you, but around here there were stories of a 300 six in a Mustang that ran at Bonneville in that time frame. Reportedly ran 206 mph. I saw the head built up of two sandwiched heads similar to this one I built. I would love to learn more about that car.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
ol' Ak sure didnt mention that to HRM in that article!!! Now the article did say the 300 incher went 149 mph at B-ville. May be that was with a stocker head!!, Article did mention another Mustang with a 429 and Bource, er, I mean Bosch injection dunno how fast it went (maybe 170 mph). Sure dont remember about moddin' the rack though, if I get a chance i'll dig out that mag and pm its findings to whomever wants it.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I don't know any more about the car in question except that Moldex Tool was reportedly involved with the project, but I did own the cylinder head at one point. Here's some pics I took of it. I sold the head without ever running it to a drag racing buddy who ran it for a while and said it didn't come alive until 8000 - 9500 RPM - too high for him to use. So when I built my copy I welded up the floors of the exhaust ports. It used valves from a 427 Ford FE motor.

This thing would have been easy to hide if it were illegal. From the outside with manifolds bolted on I would not have given it a second glance But one look at the thermostat outlet and you can clearly see the height difference vs a stocker.

Last edited by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER; 04/10/12 05:54 PM.

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
wasnt Moldex a crank mfg?-if so what stroke was it?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
preacher, you know I'm such a pushover when somebody wants to pry the details out of me!

Ray Gilliam, the mover / shaker over at Moldex reportedly built the head. As far as I know the engine had the stock stroke, although with that much flow potential in the head a stoker crank would not be out of the question. For an LSR car it may not have made sense to build a stroker though. I never saw the engine, I just bought the head separately.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Has anyone ever tried making a sandwich head for any GM engine?

I guess I've strayed far from the Bosch FI topic. I'll shut up now.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Off-set the cuts and put it back together ( welded Or some other means to seal it up). That would make for some vary tall ports to work with.Bolting the intake & exhaust back on could be interesting If you didn't think and cut the bolt holes in half.
And you would need a VARY good band saw Or better Yet have it cut with a Lazer.But knowing what the inside of Our Chevy head looks like a small issue could be the Port shape itself.A 12 port head I think would much easier then a shared port.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
Contributor
Contributor
I would think that the way to match up two sliced heads would be to cut them roughly with whatever you have that can do the job within .200" then mill them square and flat to mate.

I'm a bit in awe of someone doing this; that's a lot of internal cast iron topology to seal, oil+water+vacuum.

I sliced up a head in my favorite motor to see where I could make certain mods, the internals of the casting were messier than I assumed (and oh believe me I assumed they were rough).

This engine's at the opposite end of the spectrum, getting OT here, tangentially related only to the modded head. I, too, will shut up now.

http://www.wps.com/AMC/195.6OHV/Cracked-head/index.html

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Which Bosch system are you referring to?

Perhaps I'm rusty on my terminology, but the only Bosch systems that I'm familiar with having a "rack" are diesels.

Was it something like the Lucas "timed" (aka interuptor) injection?

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Dunno what they were called, but
these in question were totally mechanical units very much like the diesel- less pressure i'm sure. Moving the rack changed the displacement of the pump-therefore the amount of fuel per shot. one pump piston per car cylinder- it can be timed just like ignition, it was in use just before the electro systems came into being. At the time Dustin Hoffman's Alfa and a few other foreigns had similar mechanical systems. Expensive to produce compared to the 'vette Ram-Jet which was a constant "drolling" system but which proved that the timed squirt was not worth the expense of a diesel type pump.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 317 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available