Rate Thread
#94292 07/04/18 11:44 PM
T
tom c Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
T
I have a built 292 six bought for much less than I could build one. I will be bringing it home in a few days. I would like to put it on my engine stand. I have never had an inline six on my stand before. My stand is a three wheel model and I'm concerned about the stability of the stand with the long engine on it. Any tips and/or suggestions?

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
I just took my blown 292 off the engine stand a few days ago. It was on there for about a year. It was a little scary and a little bouncy. I yanked it around pretty good a few times and had no problems. My stand is a budget one from Harbor freight. The blower setup is probably an extra 60 pounds or so.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I felt the same about my stand when I pulled the engine back in '12

This one is from the late 70's and though it handled the weight just fine . . . the trike design seemed to have much shorter engines in mind - vee layouts.

So I pulled the front caster and inserted a receiver hitch tongue into the square tube. I bolted a length of c-channel to the tongue and installed dual casters.

This raised the front, and provided a wider/firmer stance. More importantly it extended the front casters beyond the front of engine:

I kept an eye on the top of the square tube for evidence of stress/tearing. None appeared. Had it occurred I would have responded with a square u-bolt or two for reinforcement . . .

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
stock49!! That's an outstanding fix!! I have a couple of tricycle stands that will receive that treatment as soon as I move into the new shop!!!

THANKS!!

Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary
A
AN2 Offline
Newcomer
Newcomer
A
A few months ago I finally picked up an AMC 4.2 that fell over on one of those death traps. Never had an issue with even the cheapest 4 wheeled one. I never spun it but would assume it would be near impossible and pretty dangerous

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
mine is a cheapie but it does have 2 legs coming out the front. Easy to take apart and put away.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 180 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave
6,788 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available