Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Z
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Z
As we all know, the LL8 was not sold in a manual transmission. However, the bellhousig to block bolt pattern is identical between all of the Atlas motors.

Manual bellhousings are from the following applications with any Atlas engine, which are the four or five cylinder variants of these vehicles

2004-2008 Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon
2006 Hummer H3

The stock transmission in the Atlas is an Aisin AR Transmission, which can also be found in the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky, and Isuzu trooper. It has a removable bellhousing so transmission could be sourced from these vehicles without a bellhousing. The Aisin bellhousing-to-trans bolt pattern is the same as many other Aisin transmissions, which makes other transmission options available. These include

JEEP
1984-1992 AX4 4 speed
1984-2002 AX5 5 speed
1998-1999 AX15/NV3550 5 speed
2018-present D478 6 speed

Toyota
R series 5 speed
G series 5 speed
W series 5 speed
L series 5 speed

Other
AZ6 6 speed- Nissan Silvia, Mazda MX5/RX8, Lexus IS200, Toyota 86/Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ NOTE: It has come to my attention that the AZ6 has a cast in bellhousing, I don't know if that is ALL AZ6s or just BRZ transmissions
AW5 5 speed - Toyota Hilux/Tacoma, Suzuki Vitaria/Escudo
AM15 5 speed - Toyota Dyna, Hino Dutro

Whenever sourcing these transmissions make sure that the bellhousing is removable, I believe that they are not available as cast-in bell transmissions, but I haven't been able to confirm that. There also may be spacing/input shaft issues, which I can't feasibly take into account with this information. Any and all help with finding this out is appreciated. As I build my car I will slowly work out what works and what doesn't.

Last edited by Ztarchitecht; 02/21/19 06:54 PM.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I think there is also an adapter available that allows the use of the traditional small block Chevy bellhousing and all conventional trannies that will bolt to it.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
Z
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Z
Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
I think there is also an adapter available that allows the use of the traditional small block Chevy bellhousing and all conventional trannies that will bolt to it.

Yes I believe you are correct, I was just listing these so it's easier to find OEM/Junkyard parts.

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
You'll need to edit your list to exclude some of the following transmissions. Similar looking but not compatible with the AR5 bell housing pattern.

JEEP
1984-1992 AX4 4 speed
1984-2002 AX5 5 speed

This one has a cast on bell, but I have yet to see one.

Watch out for the Toyota 5 speed's as well. The R series are the larger case like the AR5 and AX15. As for the others, I believe they are light duty like the AX4 and AX5.

End of the day, look for AR5,AX15 and the R154. Also consider the Jeep NVG 3550.

Z
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Z
Originally Posted By: Cornchip
You'll need to edit your list to exclude some of the following transmissions. Similar looking but not compatible with the AR5 bell housing pattern.

JEEP
1984-1992 AX4 4 speed
1984-2002 AX5 5 speed

This one has a cast on bell, but I have yet to see one.

Watch out for the Toyota 5 speed's as well. The R series are the larger case like the AR5 and AX15. As for the others, I believe they are light duty like the AX4 and AX5.

End of the day, look for AR5,AX15 and the R154. Also consider the Jeep NVG 3550.

So the Jeep AX4/5 is completely incompatible?

The D478 is a cast in bell or the AX4/5?

I think the Sky/Solstice would be the best transmission for a light car. I think the R154 is extremely strong, and I'd assume the internals of other R transmissions are fairly similar.

Isn't the NVG3550 the same thing as an AX15?

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
Yes...the key differences between the AX4/5 and Jeep's larger Ax15 is the spacing between the main shaft and lower counter shaft. That changes the case size and ultimately the pattern at the bell housing. I actually owned an AX4 in a 89 Jeep Commanche with a 2.5 inline. Amazing shift feel over the larger AX15. Toyota did the same thing as Jeep and used a smaller W series with the 4 cylinder trucks. They also won't bolt up.

I have yet to prove the D478 as cast 'on'. My Dad has a 2018 JL Rubicon (the guy's 78 years old) with the new D478. Next time I'm up North to visit, I'll take a look.

The NVG is a German made version of the AX 15. Shift's buttery smooth.

Jeep YJ Ax5 Bell

Jeep YJ Ax15 Bell

Last edited by Cornchip; 02/22/19 10:08 PM.
Z
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Z
Where can I source the NVG3550 from? Is it a specific year/model of Jeep as compared to the AX15?

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
2000 to 2004 Jeep TJ and 2000 to 2001 XJ. The XJ was available with 2WD. I personally would leave the 3550 in a Jeep. You'll never find a clean unit as the Jeep guys are scavengers to the last. Also the front bearing retainer is made for an external slave cylinder unlike the GM AR5 bell which only supports internal. You'd have to fab your own solution.

You can also mix and match extension housings (not 3550) around or rear output shafts depending on your level of comfort. My application used an AR5 to Ax15 extension housing to retain my NP 231J transfer case.

Lots of possibilities with these AISIN's.

K
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
K
Can you verify the difference in input shaft difference between the 4cyl and 5 cyl AR5? I’m getting mixed signals with no definate answers. Ive read there is no difference, but have also seen while looking at clutch kits that the 4cyl has a 1 1/8” input shaft, while the 5cyl has a 1 3/16” input. Has anyone verified this before?

They do use the same pilot bearing. I have verified that by referencing part numbers.

Last edited by Kenny; 04/14/19 02:56 AM.
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
From my own experience, my 2010 AR5 4WD has a 1 1/8" 26 spline input shaft. That is as common an input as you'll ever find on a GM. That 1 3/16" spline 'may' have come on a late Hummer H3 from what I have read. It's supposed to have improved internals like a revised syncro setup. Also my 2010 has a .590" dia pilot and takes the ACDelco CT1082 bearing....verified.

I'll have to find my way over to your Facebook group sometime soon. I read it often enough. Seen a guy looking for a bell housing, which I have a spare. Most wreckers don't separate the bell requiring you to buy the whole thing. Originally I was going to use the bell on the front of an AX15, but decided against it as the AX had water in side of it at some point. So I bought the lowest mileage AR I could get my hands on. As you see in the picture above, I grafted on the back half of the AX onto the AR to get the Jeep shift tower where I need it along with the Xfer case.

Talk to you later....maybe on Facebook.

Cornchip

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
I forgot to mention, the flywheels floating around made by Jerry W were drilled for the 5 cyl clutch pressure plate, not the 4 cyl (different diameter for whatever reason). I can't verify that as I went another route and drilled my flywheel for a 10 1/2" GM pressure plate (LuK 04-109). It also has the 26 spline clutch disc....came off a late 80's Pontiac/Firebird. Requires removing a smidge of material height from the bearing retainer.

K
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
K
I just picked up a solid unit from a 2007 2.9L. My flywheel aint one of Jerry W’s, But it is drilled for the 3.5L.

Are you in the facebook group? If not, when you ask to join, just answer the first question with “im cornchip” or somethin. That way I know to not even question the profile.

Z
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Z
Originally Posted By: Cornchip
I forgot to mention, the flywheels floating around made by Jerry W were drilled for the 5 cyl clutch pressure plate, not the 4 cyl

Does this affect what transmissions you can use with the stock bellhousing? I planned on getting a 5cyl manual bellhousing.

Originally Posted By: Kenny
I just picked up a solid unit from a 2007 2.9L. My flywheel aint one of Jerry W’s, But it is drilled for the 3.5L

Can you just redrill a 4 or 5cyl flywheel?

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
"Can you just redrill a 4 or 5cyl flywheel?"

Yes and no. A few years ago I had some time on my hands at work and modified a new 3500 flywheel. Two key differences exist when considering modifications to adapt it for use on the 4200. I say consider and cringe a little when I say that. If you want to spin something modified to 6500, it's your life and others that you must take responsibility for.

4200 vs 3500 pattern differences above

With that said, the two key differences are obviously the bolt pattern and the register bore ID plus ring gear offset. If you bore the 3500 flywheel to 4200 specs, you will bore into the existing holes. Looks like a mess. What I did is create some geometry just cutting beyond that bolt circle and make a alloy hub adapter. Lastly, the ring gear has to have the same offset from the mounting face and requires relocation.

online dice roller

LL8 to LLR/L52 Adapter

Modified 3500 Flywheel

Assembled together..match marked and bored for concintricity

Billet one piece with modified 3500

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
First picture is the 2.8 flywheel and last the 3.5

Last edited by Cornchip; 05/24/19 08:24 PM.

Moderated by  efi-diy, stock49 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Skulptorchaz), 346 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Skulptorchaz, Ryan Clark, chevy454, TCH54, beansprout01
6,778 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available