Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
skidder Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Hi Everyone, I have been searching the internet High and low about inline 6 turbo engines and every time I find something it reference's me to this forum. Little about my project, its a 1950 Chevy 3100 with a 1957 235 engine. I have boxed most of the frame and installed a Jag IFS/IRS out of a 1986 XJS. The rear is a Posi unit with 3:31 gears. I backed up the 235 with an S-10 T-5.
So here is were the issue starts, I was talking to a friend about all the upgrades I have done to the trucks suspension and he was surprised I was going to run a stock 235 motor. I started looking on line and seen some people were building 250 turbo engines, I have never built an engine that was driven by a turbo but it sounded pretty cool. I also read that the 250's had seven main caps making the bottom end stronger then the 235 making it better suited for a turbocharger. Well I found a guy on Craigslist listing a 250 for sale for $300 out of a 68 Suburban, he wanted to swap out the 6 for an 8. We talked and he agreed on $150 for the motor. After seeing the motor and running the casting numbers it turned out to be a 1968 292 motor, well not knowing anything about 292's I decided to still purchase the engine. If it would not do what I wanted I would just resale it and get my money back (I hoped). So here's the dilemma, being that its not a 250 and what I have read it will still make a cool turbo six motor, and yes I don't know anything about how to make it a turbocharged motor so that's why I joined this forum as well as ordering the Chevy Inline Six Cylinder Power manual. I know the motor is going to be a slow process due to time restraints (work) and budget. But what I would like to do is get the engine and trans mocked up in the frame so I can finish boxing the frame and fitting the cab.
So the question I can not seem to find and answer for, What transmission should I run? Is an automatic better then a Standard for a Turbo charged motor. what automatic would work best or which standard will work best. With the 3:31 and wanting to be able to run comfortable on the highway which is my best option. The truck will not see any track time just a burn out or two every now and again and cruse-ins. What I have read the S-10 T-5 I have will not last long doing burnouts. The NV3500 might be the same as the T-5 when it comes to durability, the NV4500 is heavy.I have a Turbo 350 and 400 here at the house as well as a 700R4 and a Muncie 4-speed are any of these good choices? It seems like the T-56 would work but not sure about the double over drive and my 3:31 Gears plus they are expensive. I know this can be some what subjective question, but I am willing to consider all thoughts on this subject as I am lost.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
An auto trans would be the better choice.

If you are going to make a lot of power, a 4L80E

If not so much 4L60/65E
700R4's are weaker, unless you put all the upgrades that a 4L65E has in them.

3:31 are a good choice, do not need a double OD unless you are running 20-24" tall tires.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
S
skidder Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Hank,
Thanks for the good information regarding the automatic transmissions. I did a little research and it seems like the 4L65E might be the one I am going to consider. I'm going to see what's involved in making the trans work behind a carbureted engine. The local Pick a parts place seems to be a good source to pick one of these up. I just whish we could get a break from the rain. Laying in the mud is not very fun anymore.
Don

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 103 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available