Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
I assumed that the pressure side of the outside oil line to my 1955 235 engine was rear of block driver side where the oil prssure sensor is teed off of, just like the 216 I took out. I got concerned when I checked my 1949 Desot and manuel. That vehicle has the pressure side at the front of the vehicle and it pumps into the top of the external oil filter just the opposite of my 235 chevrolet set up. Does it matter on the 235 wheter or not it pumps into the bottome or top of the external oil filter. Also, the filter cartidge on the engine when I got it said full flow filter. I read on another post that the 235 did not have full flow filter. The chevrolet manuels don't even address this issue. I don't want to damage the engine, it runs good and the old 1951 gauge is registering between 35 and 40 lbs.

Thanks for all the help on this forum it is very useful to us hill billy Cherokees in North Caroling.

Bob Blankenship

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Bob, The oil feeds from the top down thru the filter. If you go to the site I linked and link to their reference section you will find a factory illustration of this oil filter sysytem.Hope this helps.

www.55-57chevys.com

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Bob;

Drew is correct, the 'in' line is on the top and should be that way, with the 'out' line comming out the bottom of the canister.

This filter is a "by-pass" unit which filters only about 1/6th of the engine oil/not much value and more of a fire source.

Most of them were installed by Dealers for added revenue(s)back then.

Today; Many just remove it totally for safety reasons as these lines can/do leak, squirting oil on the hot exhaust, causing a major disaster etc.

To do this simply plug the 'out' line hole in the block. Then remove the 'tee' and replace the oil guage line with an adapter (for the 'in' line.)

Using quailty oil (SAE 30) and changing regulary is all that's required for the early engines.

This will "clean up" the engine compartment too.

Except for some 261" engines the "full flow" didn't exist till 1963 on the Chevroled 6. This is on the right side of the engine and 'spins on'.

Good luck. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Thanks a lot for the help.

Bob Blankenship

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard