Print Thread
Rate Thread
K
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
K
Aloha!!! long time no see

My 1950 Chevy 216 is pumping oil out of the vents and onto my inner fender wells, and elsewhere. Recent dis-assembly diaphragms check good, not coming from anywhere else, pivot pin is dry.

any ideas? Thanks in advance

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
The crankshaft throws oil to that side of the engine. Since there is no baffle, oil is getting thrown right out that slot. I had the same thing happen to me years ago. As I recall, you can't just plug the slot due to the way it works. I have since found some dual action fuel pumps that were more vintage, and they don't appear to be set up like this one is. Perhaps you can hunt around and find a different version. Otherwise, switch to electric wipers. There work better anyway. The dual action pump I had on my '53 helped, but it was nothing like electric.

I.I. #3174
K
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
K
OK lets see, find a different pump, maybe that'll work and switch to electric wipers at $180, I live in Southern California, it doesn't rain, when it does my wipers work fine

I took a different approach, see I like to fix things, not throw money at them.

Dis-assembly of the pump showed an oil seal had been installed upside down at the factory or rebuild shop, I turned it over, re-assembled, guess what? It worked!!!

Now I did have exceptional help from the guys at chevytalk.org, and I appreciate your help too

Thanks, oh yeah, seal #27 in the 49-54 Chevy car manual fuel and vacuum pump cut-away picture, fig. 112

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
On the pump I tried to use there was no seal invovled. The oil had a straight shot right past the pump arm and right out the hole.
An older NOS pump that I found wasn't setup this way and would work fine, which is why I suggested it. If I could have made the other one work, I would have, since I don't like wasting money either. After finnally deciding to spend the money on electric wipers, I realized that it was worth the money. That why I suggested it. Sorry for trying to help.

I.I. #3174
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
I'm not sure what seal he means either.

Those holes are there to allow gasoline to escape if the diaphram ruptures or leaks on the upper portion of the unit.

The lower (vacuum) portion can suck oil & cause it to escape there too and is what usualy causes that. Apparently this was an 'exception to the rule'.

That's a Tiwang unit or a "mix-match" from some rebuilder; as the place where the bowel would be is blocked off with a 'newer type' cover plate also.

Mr. Kim; Were all glad your fixed. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
K
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
K
I wasn't trying to burn ya Gearhead, I appreciate your help as I mentioned.

sorry if I somehow did, unintentional man.

If the vacuum diaphram ruptures and the seal is working, no oil will be sucked, but if the SEAL fails, the action of the diaphram pumps the oil that gets by the seal, outboard through the vent holes, different vents than the gas portion, but next to each other

The upper gas portion is like John mentions, but the lower portion works differently

If you have the manual, check it out, it all makes sense when you trace it out

Again I appreciate your help, sorry to sound like a smart arse

49-53 Chevrolet Shop manual, engine assembly, page 6-89, fig, 112, seal #27 "oil seal"

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 49 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available