Print Thread
Rate Thread
#15478 06/01/07 11:07 AM
P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
The fiber cam gear on my 58 261 stripped about 4 teeth. Question: What are the chances I bent valves when the cam quit turning? It happened at pretty low rpm. Does the 235-261 have enough valve relief to prevent this? I haven't pulled the head off and won't if I don't have to. How's the best way to modify the timing cover lower bolts so I don't have to pull the pan to get to the cam gear?
Thanks in advance.
Randy

#15479 06/01/07 12:06 PM
D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Since the 235/261 are similar,based on my experience with a stock 235 head(no head shaving),I'd say that the valves should be fine.I would examine the push rods to see if any are bent though. That will be your clue to pull the head.As to the timing cover bolts,retap for mounting the lower cover bolts on the outside.This has been discussed in these forums. You could find more detailed info on that then I'm sharing, I'm sure.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
#15480 06/01/07 04:17 PM
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Randy;

Drew is correct in that; the intake valves (if there hit) just get pushed closed ahead of time, bending the pushrods involved. The head can stay on.

The front main cap needs to be drilled/tapped to do that, along with the holes inlarged in the timing cover.

This isn't really helpfull though. You need to be able to "guide" the cam in/out to protect the bearings etc.

It was done on racing engines to advance/retard the valve timing in 'days gone by' when a lot of experimenting was in progress.

Like he stated "the valves should be fine"... \:D

Good luck. \:\)

PS: If your using an aluminum cam gear for replacement; both (gears) must be replaced and don't damage the 'lock plate' as; it needs to be re-used. (lock washers won't work).

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 102 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available