Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
N
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
N
I'm afraid I already know the answer to this but you guys might be able to tell me otherwise.

My dad has a 1946 Chevrolet Pickup truck that has a 1961 235 inline six in it. He claims that this is the last engine that will easily bolt up to the stock tranny. Regardless as to if that is true or not I'm not real big on the idea of changing the engine because ultimately it won't solve the problem at hand.

The truck still has a stock 1946 3 speed transmission and the stock rear end. Most of you should know that these don't have a traditional driveshaft between them, but rather a torque tube. This torque tube makes it impossible to replace the tranny without replacing the rear end or vice versa. Which replacing the tranny probably requires replacing the motor, and we really don't want to go there.

Nothing is broken, it all works just fine, but there is just a small problem with the current setup. I have no idea what the tranny gear ratio's are, and I have no idea what the rear end ratio is. If anybody has this information it would be GREATLY appreciated. So what's the problem? Simply it's too slow. We are not wanting to build a hot rod, but it would be nice to cruise at somthing more than about 45. As is it'll sure do 60 or 65 but the motor is screaming and you just really don't want to have to run it that hard. It's just plain foolish to do so.

So finally my question, what gear ratio is out back, and can it be changed without having to replace the entire rear end? I have a feeling that it has something like 4.56 gears out back, that or it has some high gears in the tranny. If we could replace the final gear with something like a 3.23 it would have all the top end we would ever need on a truck that still has stock brakes

Then if the rear end gear can be changed, there is always the problem of the speedo then being off. How would one go about fixing that?

K
Contributor
Contributor
K
Hi, Nathan. There is an Inliner named Pat Dykes who has spent some time working on exactly these problems. Your dad's truck probably has a 4.56 or 4.11 rear end. Patrick's, in Casa Grande, AZ, has a 3.55 ring and pinion set designed for that rear end. Pat also makes a conversion kit to put a saginaw 4-speed in your dad's '46 that retains the torque tube driveshaft. A transmission shop should be able to sell you a converter to get the speedo back on track after a gear change.
Patrick's advertizes in Hemming's, and should have a banner ad or link somewhere on this site. Good Luck!

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Patrick Dykes has a complete kit to hook up a Saginaw 4-speed and install a 3.55 ring and pinion in your dad's pickup, with torque tube. It ain't none of it cheap, but when you're through it looks like it was put together in Flint or Kansas City rather than in your backyard. He even has a shift lever that duplicates the look of the original. It is probably the best thing you can do for a sweet little pickup with a 235, if you want to drive it on the highway.

You can reach PD at patstrks@aol.com or 520-836-1117. i have done business with him on other things and have found him to be quite helpful. Ask him to send you a catalogue with current prices. Maybe you could help your Father out on Father's Day with something that will give him pleasure for a long time to come.

God's Peace to you.

d

[This message has been edited by don 1450 (edited 04-15-2002).]

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
If top end is your only concern, then the only real direct option is the 3:55 gears from Patrick's. Changing the tranny would serve no purpose as they all have a final drive of 1:1 unless you get an overdrive tranny, and that would require changing to an open driveline. If you do end up changing the tranny to anything newer than 1946 (for open driveline), you will need to change the bellhousing to a 47-62 truck or 55-62 car as they changed the tranny bolt pattern.

I.I. #3174
H
Contributor
Contributor
H
I ran a 51-54 Chev passenger 3:55 torque tube rear end from a powerglide for years in my '46. Requires some mods to mount to springs in a truck but easy to do. To keep 6 lug wheels, install the 3:55 tube in a 48 or earlier pass rear end.
Best of luck
Jim

Jim, I.I. #173
(It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!)

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 88 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GM250at4btdc, fordfan80, Joshbuckman73, 37Clint, Ehb86
6,793 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available