Print Thread
Rate Thread
#20490 08/15/06 03:59 PM
O
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
O
I've got decsion to make as to which transmision to purchase one is out of a camaro and the other out of an astro van. Both are post 87, both are supposedly working order. One has a longer tailsection.
This will go into my 63 chev long box pickup behind a 292.
Is there much difference in the innards of these two trannys that one would be better than the other?
Many thanks!

#20491 08/15/06 06:54 PM
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Post '87 would be the better ones.

Keep in mind that a 700-R4 and a 4L60E are not the same animal. The later "E" models don't have a TV cable to worry about, but have more electrics that need to be hooked up to work right. You may want to look at www.bowtieoverdrives.com

I.I. #3174
#20492 09/07/06 10:44 AM
T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
 Quote:
Originally posted by oldbluetruck:
I've got decsion to make as to which transmision to purchase one is out of a camaro and the other out of an astro van. Both are post 87, both are supposedly working order. One has a longer tailsection.
This will go into my 63 chev long box pickup behind a 292.
Is there much difference in the innards of these two trannys that one would be better than the other?
Many thanks!
there shouldnt be ANY difference between those 2 700r4 trannys extension housings... even though they r different with the bolt holes that go through them ( the astrovan 700r4 had a damper weight on the back and the camaros/firebirds had a form on ladder/traction bar that bolted up) they r still the same lenth. i would use the 1 out of the astrovan, mostly bacause it was already behind a 6 cyl. engine. the 1 out of the camaro might be a little "beefier" because odds r that it came with either a 5.0 or 5.7 v-thingy. but with that, unless the car was babied, its likely that it may have some internals that will show wear signs b4 the trans out of the astrovan would, mostly because of the difference in power between the 2.. either way, best thing to do is take the 1 from the camaro, and build it. then u know what uve got in it...
p.s. be sure when u get it going that u set the tv cable set right or it will burn up the trans. also with a "lockup torque converter, u will either need to buy a kit from either jegs or summit to make sure the t.c.c. applies or it will wipe out 3rd and quite possibly o.d. as well. or have it converted to run without a lockup converter... gl

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 93 guests, and 32 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available