Rate Thread
#21997 09/09/02 07:16 AM
F
FJ-40 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
F
hello, I am planning on building an engine for a truck Im putting together. I want to know, not that it matters much but Im curious, what the final net hp rating would be for a : chevy 292, stock pistons, rv cam (say a clifford), 0.060 off head, four barrel manifold, holley 390, and a header, and free flow exhaust?
Any good estimate will be appreciated, like I said I just want a general ball park figure. The engine will be in a AD truck with T-5 trans and a 3.73 rear end. Thanks--yadao

------------------
Thanks,
ybi, northern california

Thanks,
ybi, northern california
#21998 09/09/02 09:04 AM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Not knowing if you're planing any other head work to improve air flow. and Only shaving it .060 off it You have gained about 6cc in compression area. ball park it's -2cc per .010 off the head. With the Rv cam and headers ,intake It could be a safe ballpark guess it should be in the 200 hp range give or take some hp. but around that.?The desk top dyno is not very good for or L6 motors. But hope this helps anyway.}[oooooo]

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
#21999 09/09/02 11:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi,
Twisted 6 is right on the money on the HP rating. I did similar mods but only .040 over, Ported & Polished, 3-2's, 270 Wolverine Cam, Chrome moly rings, fluid dampner, Comp Cams Rockers, synthetic oil, water heated intake, 11" flywheel, and Corvette chambered pipes through 2 1/2" exhaust. My motor dynoed 274HP at the flywheel. More important, I've got gobs of torque and a low 1st gear (4:1) for great all around performance.

#22000 09/09/02 03:07 PM
F
FJ-40 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
F
Hey thanks guys. I figured thats about what it would be, but it kinda makes me grin hearin it from some experienced people.
Also I forgot to ask before, what kinda milage can I expect from this engine in this truck. Im not sure what it would say but shoudn't be that different than stock. As I said it will have a S-10 T-5 and 3.73 rear end gears. The stock will run on 29 inch tires and will not be lowered. Again ball park figures are all Im lookin for, but would love to hear sme personal experiences from you folks. I look forward to your responses--yadao

------------------
Thanks,
ybi, northern california

Thanks,
ybi, northern california
#22001 09/09/02 03:10 PM
F
FJ-40 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
F
(Im not sure what it would say but ...)

oops, I meant, Im not sure what it would weigh but...
yeah it even makes sense this way, well almost. --ybi

------------------
Thanks,
ybi, northern california

Thanks,
ybi, northern california
#22002 09/09/02 03:16 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
At the fly wheel thats not bad You should also have as much tork if not a little higher then that. At the rear wheel you should close to around 220 And with that low of a first gear I would think you would feel just about all the same tork that you have at the fly wheel?? Even though I had mine on a chassi dyno that was done messed up There is about a(i'll refur as point diff.)20 point difference. with the tork being the higher. And we know these numbers where off Because I had did some more checking on as to how the tests should have been done. But all in all I had OVER 215 ft lbs of tork. And we also know that a 31 splined alxe would handle more then 215 ft lbs . So you can think about what just Mit be comeing out of my Twisted6 heheLOL }[oooooo]

Ps I don't for see braking the new 35s anytime soon there good for 850ft lbs.

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
#22003 09/10/02 11:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Everything is relative, as my dad used to say, but numbers are numbers. When my motor was new, it only got 10-13 MPG. After 1300 miles, it stopped smoking, checked timing,
and the last time I checked, it was getting 14-16 mpg. I'm planning to go to the Street Rod Nationals North on Friday in Kalamazoo, and will check the road milage. I have 255/78 15's on 8" rims which puts the tires at approx. 29 1/2". The front end has been dropped 6" from stock but the '40 Chevy Coupe is pretty boxy and not an areodynamic type vehicle. I also experimented with disconnecting the secondaries on the outer carbs so it ran on 3 primaries most of the time then the center secondary cut in when I floored it. Outcome: no difference in performance, smoother acceleration, less pedal effort(3-2's are hard) and a moderate increase in MPG.
Have fun, that's what is all about.

#22004 09/15/02 04:28 AM
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
hello Every .060 off the 250/292 heads increase CR 1 pt....

Lee

#22005 09/18/02 11:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, the Street Rod Nationals North at Kalamazoo was great. I met Tom Langdon from Stovebolt Engineering, and he had quite the swap booth set up. Tom came over to see my car and of course, gave me some valuble pointers on "tweaking" my inline. I also met several Inliners and we checked out each others rides. The milage on my '40 was very good. I averaged 18-20 mpg @65mph! The day of cruising on the Fairgrounds I only got 11 mpg but that's because of all the "Rapping" going on. The cars that had inline motors got a lot of attention over the "cookie-cutter" 350 small blocks.
Tom Langdon's best tip was to check your idle jets on your carbs. On the Holley/Webers I have, they are very accessable(as Tom Showed me) and they can be in the wrong position. I had 50's in the primary and need to check if the secondary is smaller. If so then swap em. Tom said that you should experiment by going down to a 45 then a 40 to see how your motor reacts. He has 40's in his and said he gets 22-25 mpg. I'll get back to the B-board on my findings.

RapRap
1940 Chevy Coupe

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 111 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available