Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
I'm have just started the short block assembly and am getting real curious on what power I should expect .... anyone care to take a stab at it??

Specs

292 + 0.030" OS
stock stroke
8.25:1 pistons - "0" decked
Lump port head with 1.94 / 1.60 valve - valve pocket ported and blended to match the valves/lump ports.
Cam 0.488 lift 212 deg @ 0.050
Offy intake
Initially a holley 600 Vac sec. (list # 1850) I know its a cheapo carb but is only for inital break in or so.
1 5/8" headers dual mufflers 2"
HEI ignition

??????? power ???????????? I'm thinking 275HP and 300 ft lb torque?????

Comments......

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
are you going to dyno it? i'll take a stab. i'll guess at 230 hp and 300 tq. the low hp because you can't rev it for good hp #'s. tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

G
Newcomer
Newcomer
G
just bought a 292 used complete engine 75/84 chevy. where can I buy high perf. parts. pistons, alum. rods, roller cam/lifters, etc. I know you guys have heard all these questions before. I'd like to put the engine in a sweet 49 chev. sedan delivery, with a high perf. 235. Thought I'd try a little more horse. Also curious, high much can a 292 block be bored/safely.
gb49er

gb49er
M
Contributor
Contributor
M
efi-diy,

tlowe's numbers are probably very close. You've got a pretty good, hot street cam there; and a good strong engine. But you'll have to do one of two things to get more horsepower out of that 292: either 1) go with a hotter cam and spin the engine higher plus add high compression pistons or 2) add a mild boost turbocharger.

First choice is easier; second is more work and involves careful consideration of other factors, but allows you to make more max horsepower without having to turn 5000+ rpms. You could probably get close to 300 hp with the proper boost with just the setup you have now. Your compression ratio is just about right for a mild turbocharger.

-magic mike-

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
My computer program guess is:
Torque 304 at 3500rpm
Power 246 at 4900 rpm

Those are gross numbers, no fan, air cleaner, 60 F air, 29.92 barom dry air, open exhaust.

The 2" duals would drop another 10 to 15 hp my guess.

I know the 600cfm carb is "free", but a 450-500cfm would not hurt power at all and run better down low -

I computed a mechanical cam about 220 duration with 9.0 compression to get 275hp at 5000 (and 315 torque at 3700) if you want more - -

Toss it on the dyno and tell us what happens. \:\)

E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
Thanks all for the feedback. I'll be putting it on the chassis dyno later in the summer after I get the bugs out of the truck.

This is step one of the build, its real basic as I have other items that will need attention, the engine is going into a '53 GMC that has been front clipped and a whole lot more - so I needed to keep the engine as simple as possible while not precluding adding power later.

Once the truck has been sorted out then step 2 is to convert it to TBI.

Step 3 is next winter when I'll build the multiport efi manifold and turbo header.

Goal is to run 10 to 12 psi, in preperation for boost I did a partial blockcrete fill on the block
- comes about 60% of the way up the water pump opening. To combat the lack of water jacket cooling I'm adding a decent size liquid to air oil cooler with a thermostatically controlled divert valve that opens at 180 deg F.

Now back to the shop.... rotating assembly needs a few final touched before putting the oil pan on.... Putting the cam gear on was a real PITA - needed an extra set of hands that didn't show up... used a heat gun to get the gear hot and it still needed to beat on with the deadblow hammer..
The gear was hot enough to start smoking the grease on my thick arc welding gloves... someone asked me if I was going to degree the cam in... same "help" that didn't show ..

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 92 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available