Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
Dennis Offline OP
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
D
On a '63/64 Biscaine there is a light for cold engine temp, no light for normal running, then another light comes on if the engine gets hot. Can anyone tell me how this system is wired? Are there two terminals on the sending unit? (With one normally closed contacts for the cold light, then a normally open light for the HOT side?)

In an atempt to use lights instead of gauges, I want to use this same set-up for my Model A.

Lord, let me live long enough to do all the projects I have planned!
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
Yes, you are correct. One terminal for cold and one for hot. Joe

D
Dennis Offline OP
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
D
Thanks, you wouldn't know the part number of one of those sending units, would you? The local Autozone hasn't got a clue. I don't think their computer goes back that far!

R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
I hope this isn't a duplicate, I seem to have lost a reply that I was working on. To make it quick, the Chev parts manual shows several numbers for 'switch assembly, coolant temperature' that cover the early-mid 60s. They are:

6400211 (62-63) stamped AC115B-226M
1993351 (64-66) G-10,Ser 10 thru 30
6402372 a whole series of models

If you would send me an address or FAX, I'll copy the pages and send them to you. Hope this is of use. RONDET

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
My 46-64 Chevrolet parts manual says the switch # for 62-64 is 1993350. Most parts houses should be able to cross this over to their brand. Joe

D
Dennis Offline OP
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
D
Thanks, Rondet and Joe.

I gave NAPA the numbers you gave me and I got a "switch" that will work. I wanted one that would light a "cold' light, when I first started the engine, and a "Hot" light, if it got too hot. I appreciate the help.

R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
Dennis, you're very welcome. You do realize that you have provided total justification for my hanging on to every old book, brochure and data sheet I've ever had (but, honey, I can't throw these away - they'll be needed!). Best wishes. RONDET

D
Dennis Offline OP
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
D
When I was in the Air Force, in the 60s, we had tons of every kind of factory manuals you could think of. They had at least 10 manuals for each type of vehicle on base. They would throw the old manuals away, when the vehicles became obsolete and I scarfed up a bunch of 'em. However, I divorced my ex and in my rush to get out of Dodge, I left most of them behind. I don't know how many times I'd wished I had hung around just long enough to haul off those manuals!

Thanks again for your help. The sending unit cost $16 at NAPA, by the way.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 75 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available