Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Ive got a chevy 250, not exactly sure on the year, because now its in my 82 CJ5. The problem is that I just got through a long and drawn out tranny replacement that took a year to complete due to funds and lack of time. The engine ran good a year ago, but once I got the trans in and tried to fire it up, its been an uphill struggle. So far, Ive replaced : CARB, COIL, PLUGS, WIRES, FULL OF GAS, AND CHECKED TIMING (which I believe is right). We did manage to get it to idle yesterday after the carb replacement, and it would crank on its own. ANY advice will be GREATLY appreciated.
-NIC

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
You didn't say whether the motor ran in the Jeep a year ago, or if it was newly installed with the trans.

If it was in there last year, then your best bet, if you have not done it already, is to take the gas tank out and remove all of what's in there. Replace it with fresh fuel. Bad gas will easily cause what little symptoms you described.

------------------
David
newbie #4153

David
newbie #4153
D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
 Quote:
Originally posted by JeepDude:
Ive got a chevy 250, not exactly sure on the year, because now its in my 82 CJ5. The problem is that I just got through a long and drawn out tranny replacement that took a year to complete due to funds and lack of time. The engine ran good a year ago, but once I got the trans in and tried to fire it up, its been an uphill struggle. So far, Ive replaced : CARB, COIL, PLUGS, WIRES, FULL OF GAS, AND CHECKED TIMING (which I believe is right). We did manage to get it to idle yesterday after the carb replacement, and it would crank on its own. ANY advice will be GREATLY appreciated.
-NIC

D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
Nic
Have you done a compression check?
I had the same problem with my Scout after it sat for a couple years.(paint job)
I checked everything possible with no luck Finally i did a compression check.The rings must of stuck to the pistons? I poured some mystery oil down the spark plugs. It finally fired and ran like crap at first But it finally came around.
Good luck with the jeep Dawger

G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
3 legged dog walks into a bar and said "I'm lookin for the man that shot my paw!"

Contributor
Contributor
A Chevy that runs like a three legged dog?

It will crank so the cranking system is OK.

It will start so the ignition system is probably OK. Pull a spark plug at idle to see if you have a good constanst spark at each plug. Look at your plugs for signs of rich or lean mixture. If OK then check the fuel system.

Check in top of carb for a good stream of fuel. No discharge means no fuel in the carb. Check fuel pump output and replace fuel filter and make sure the gas tank vent is not plugged.
Do a compression test for low pressure in one or two cylinders. Other tests would be with a vacuum gauge for leaking valves, broken springs, blown head gasket, bad guides, ring problems,manifold leaks,etc.

ps: you can cut your fuel filter apart to see if theres a sludge buildup or blockage. If so, your tank may need to be cleaned out and resealed. Also, you may have a fuel filter in the carb inlet thats clogged up.

------------------
Stuck in the 50's
1951 Ply Concord truck
1954 Nash Rambler 2 dr www.picturetrail.com/elplymino

[This message has been edited by 51 El Plymino (edited 11-25-2003).]

1951 Ply Concord truck
1954 Nash Rambler 2 dr
1955 Nash Rambler Farina

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 176 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available