Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
Bruce Offline OP
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
B
I just went aand looked at a 292 drag motor that was built in the early to mid 1970s. The gentleman that has the motor is a little hard of hearing and our communication was not great, so I may not have the names quite right. I was hoping someone may have some background on some the motor's history.

From what I gathered, the flat tappet camshaft was done by a company named Owens-Orbit(?)and I have not found anyone familiar with this company and the motor was built by a Gene Olly(?). If any of this sounds familar or anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Theoretically, the motor was in a 56 Corvette that ran 11.60s at over 122mph at Irwindale in ~ 1973.

Thanks for any help.

Inliner #1916
G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce:
I just went aand looked at a 292 drag motor that was built in the early to mid 1970s. The gentleman that has the motor is a little hard of hearing and our communication was not great, so I may not have the names quite right. I was hoping someone may have some background on some the motor's history.

From what I gathered, the flat tappet camshaft was done by a company named Owens-Orbit(?)and I have not found anyone familiar with this company and the motor was built by a Gene Olly(?). If any of this sounds familar or anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Theoretically, the motor was in a 56 Corvette that ran 11.60s at over 122mph at Irwindale in ~ 1973.

Thanks for any help.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bruce,

I asked SoCal chapter head George Gerberick #748 who has raced at Irwindale since 1975 but he says this was before his time. Also forwarded this question to Leo Santucci, but he is a 'Connecticutt Yankee' so doesn't know much about doings out west 30 years ago. I will also try Harry Blecha, our race director. Somebody out there has to remember this car, but it may take a while.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Could it have been built by Gene OHLY?

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
B
Bruce Offline OP
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
B
If Gene Ohly was a California engine builder in the 70's, it is very possibly him. As I said earlier, communication on some things was at times a little difficult.

At one time the Clifford website had a picture of a black 56 Vette with a inline 6, but no one at Clifford seems to know anything about it.

Inliner #1916
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not sure how current this is, but there was a Gene Ohly in business at Evans Speed equipment in South El Monte Ca. Phone 626/444-2838 - per a fairly recent HRM article. It's worth a call. Keep us posted!

D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
Gene Ohly is still around and working on inline engines.
He recently did all the machine work on a special Alm. Block SL6 we recently built. (Mopar Muscle, April 03)
Great guy and super helpful, let us know if he remembers anything about that 11 sec. 292
DD
http://www.slantsix.org/photos/alm6-april03-pg1.jpg

[This message has been edited by Doug Dutra--Doc.Dodge (edited 04-17-2003).]

B
Bruce Offline OP
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
B
Thanks everyone for the help. The more information I am able to find, the more comfortable I am getting about the motor.

Inliner #1916
B
Bruce Offline OP
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
B
I did speak to Gene Ohly.He may have done the machine work, but did not assemble it. If he did the motor it will have a four digit number stamped on the front. Something to look for.

Gene referred me to a good friend of Owen, who was Owen Orbit cams. He only did regrinds, however from the information I was given his cams really worked; he was also quite a character. Orbit came from Owens initials ORB and he started the business around the start of the space age, Orbit made sense.

From what I have gathered, his shop was in LA and more specifically the Watts area and was only a block or two away from Howard's Cams. I was told Owen won his class at the first NHRA national event in 1955. He also left money lying around the shop and if someone brought it up to him or left it alone they friends; if it disappeared they were allowed back. Unfortunately Owen passed away in 1997, but it sounds like his story would make a great book.

Sorry to ramble on, but part of what makes being an Inliner fun is the people involved and their stories.

Inliner #1916

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 88 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GM250at4btdc, fordfan80, Joshbuckman73, 37Clint, Ehb86
6,793 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available