Rate Thread
#2659 02/17/04 05:10 PM
R
rondet Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Does anyone have any experience using these carbs on a 270 or 302 GMC? I vaguely remember seeing some photos of an installation several years back, but I can't seem to find the reference. Any info or comments will be appreciated.

#2660 02/17/04 10:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ron, we posted some photos from the last Inliners East picnic in 2001, of a nice SU setup on a 235, belonging to a guy from Baltimore. I talked to the owner and heard the car run, it started instantly and idled well. He said it had good power and response and wasn't too tricky to get dialed in. He used carbs from the 4.2 Jag L6. Intake manifold was home-built from billet, separate stubs connected by a balance tube, and the whole package looked great.

#2661 02/18/04 08:53 AM
T
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
T
I used to mess around with SU carbs quite a bit. They are simple and work well if you take the time to make a proper initial set up.The 2 inch carbs from a Jag are kinda expensive new or used.The 1-3/4 inch models were used as an upgrade on MG's and I believe on Healy 6's,can be easier to get for reasonable money.
Another sidedraft option is S&S carbs as used on Harleys.You can pick them up at swap meets for 50 bucks each.

70 Triumph 650 cc ECTA current record holder
#2662 02/20/04 11:25 PM
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
I talked to the same guy Jack mentioned. I can confirm that the car from Baltimore started and ran like a watch! The owner told me that another source for those carbs, or very close copies of them, was from old Datsun sporty cars. The Japanese apparently had an agreement with SU to produce that carb for Datsun 240Z/260Z series cars. You might want to check 'em out.

Lord, let me live long enough to do all the projects I have planned!

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 75 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available