Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
charlie Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
I have a Mopar flathead six, 239 model that was made in 1969. It's an industrial unit that powered an airport tugger. It came mounted to a 727 automatic transmission.

I'd like to know more about the engine if anybody has info on the late model flatheads. I'm assuming it's a better block/crank etc. due to it's late production.

Info on the ID plate is as follows, Chrysler, model 931, Type 1362-1, Serial #EO23990, Date mfd, 5-18-69, bore 3.25, stroke 4.26, disp 230, governor setting 2200 rpm, mil spec # MIL-S-10379, 66hp @2800tpm. Marysville, MI.

I'm planning to rebuild the engine and use it in my 50 Plymouth Suburban wagon. I realize I'll have to change the cam, and have a stock grind 230 cam. I also plan to run a 2bbl carb from Langdon, daul exhausts, and electronic ignition. I've read the rebuild article in the Dodge restoration book and will include oiling improvements and balancing as suggested in the article.

Any other advice or suggestions? I'm assuming changine the cam will bring the horsepower up. And assuming balancing will increase rpms and useable life of the engine.

Anybody have any insight into this engine? Must be one of the last flahteads to come down the pike.

Charlie.

B
Bo Offline
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
Charlie I don't have any info on the eng.,however, a thought on the cam. Instead of a stock 230 grind, have you consider an R.V. grind on the cam. Its not radical but better than a stock grind. Should give you better power for that suburban.........

H
Contributor
Contributor
H
Hi Charlie
I did a 230 a couple of years ago. Follow the restoration guide. Especially the parts about aligning the oil holes in the bearings and block. Have the crank cross drilled. If you don't cross drill the crank at mains 2 and 3 the rods served by those mains will lack for oil. I have been running mine pretty hard especially the last year. Checked every thing last spring and every thing looked great. Mine is in a pulling tractor. For 230 cu.in. it is a tough little motor. I run 2 B&B carbs. on mine. That was a chore to get running together. Thanks to my son, he got them operating together. That motor sounds tough at 5000rpm. Hope this helps.

T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
I've heard the 230 was built as late as 1973. What type of A727 automatic is on the 230? Does it use the small block A727, \6 or the big block version. I am not interested in running a A727 behind a 230, but if it's the small block A727, is there an adaptor plate? If so, it might be practical to run the A904 or even the A500 O/D behind a 230 by duplicating the adaptor plate.

T
Newcomer
Newcomer
T
I often visit the www.p15-d24.com forum. One of the guys there has a 727 with an adapter plate. He posted some info about it recently.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 26 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available