Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Sifua Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
I have a 38 Dodge Humpback Panel Truck that I want to use as a Driver. Questions that I need answers for aer: Should I use an inline six, a V-6, a 4 cylinder turbo boosted engine, or rebuild the original engine with vintage hot rod equipment and change the rear end ratio. I need your experiences. Thanks

Don't stop learning because others restrict you to what THEY can't do
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
I'm the last one to advise someone as to what they SHOULD do. Each person should figure that out for themselves. However, I had an experience last spring that made me rethink how I felt about the older MOPAR flathead sixes. A fellow Inliner, named George Asche, in Fertigs, Pennsylvania, has a '29 DeSoto roadster with a Dodge truck flathead six in it. Being an old flathead Ford V8 fan, I was amazed at the torque and smoothness of George's engine. That sucker was FAST! It was also very easy to drive in traffic and, with an overdrive, highway speeds were effortless. I believe, if your truck was mine, I'd go with an all MOPAR drivetrain with and overdrive. If you're interested in talking to George Asche (His shop specializes in only flathead MOPARs) email me at: drh@digital-link.net

Lord, let me live long enough to do all the projects I have planned!
B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
i have 2 38 plymouth coupes. one has a 36 dodge engine that has run very good the past 15 years. the other coupe has had a v6 buick, and a inline 6 in it just to experiment. my uncle has a v6 chevy in his 36 ply coupe for many years. all have given good service, and was not too difficult to install. just goes with what you feel fits you. different tranny's are good to think of also. I am experimenting with putting in a 5 speed. good luck, bob

D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
Dennis;
I have also been treated to a ride it the Desoto owned by George Asche. I bought one of his converted dual manifolds for my Desoto engine. Here is a picture of his car.

And here is a picture of the engine in his car.

And this is the dash board. Looks more like an airplane than a car. I saw the tachometer exceed five grand on more than one occasion during the brief ride George gave me.

George Asche does not do puters and a phone call is the best way to reach him. (814) 354-2621 He is currently vacationing in Florida so it might be a few weeks before he return home. Hope this helps.
Don Coatney

Don Coatney
R
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
R
He might not play with computers, but he sure likes gadgets! Any idea what the tap below the oil pressure gauge is all about?

An old friend of mine had a Jag Mk X with a similar problem:

Quote:
As for Hoot, he wound down his business life. His garage at Benalla long gone, he completed his tour of duty as a cinema operator at the Wangaratta and Albury Drive Ins. It was my privilege to watch "Crocodile Dundee" one night at Wangaratta, talking over old times in the projection room. I was also fortunate enough to enjoy a breakfast with the old couple in their final home just a few years ago, and be shown the gadgetry that blossomed on his Jaguar Mk X - airspeed indicator ex-NG RAAF, auto starter equipment from a 1928 Studebaker, altimeter et al - it was a toy for a gentleman who mixed his interests in a totally irresponsible manner. Just for the love of it.

R
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
R
Oh, by the way... what engine is that in the de Soto?

There were three sizes in that era, I believe...

D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
Ray;
The engine George Asche has in his 29 Desoto is a 265 from a Dodge truck. George has owned this car for over 50 years. In the early 1950’s he actually raced this car on Daytona Beach in Florida USA. Claims to have exceeded 140 MPH. When I went for a ride in this car as George was driving along he commented that people have told him that this car has everything but the kitchen sink. With that comment he pulled out what I thought was the heater control panel but it was a copper bowl on a sliding track below the spigot. He then reached over and gave one of the handles that appear to be emergency brake handles a couple of pumps. Grabbed the cup hanging on the hook on the dash, opened the spigot and water came rushing out into the sink. He filled the cup and had a drink of water. I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes. If you ever get near Venus, Pennsylvania make sure you look up George Asche. It is worth the trip.
Don Coatney

Don Coatney
R
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
R
It is nice to have some eccentrics among us, isn't it?

Don, thanks for that, but it might be a while before I make it to Pennsylvania. Just check out my location...

And he's got more, I see. A twin setup, I think that's for the smaller block, is it not?

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 273 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available