Print Thread
Rate Thread
#38367 05/24/06 02:00 PM
F
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
F
Have a 1965 Chevy C-10 truck and have problems with the column jumpin' bout' a 1/4" when turnin' wheel from a stop or slow speed. When I turn wheel hard it makes a noise and jumps just a hair which in turn cause d _ _ n horns goes off. Any assistance regardin' this is greatly appreciated. Need some help as I have gotten burnt out, what with me just goin' through engine repair (complete)! Pre-thanks in order. Outta here... ~ Skip

"There's no head like steelhead"...
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
Sounds like the bearing is gone. There is a bearing in the column below the turn signal switch. There's no slop in the steering wheel other wise. You can't get in and push it up. Doesn't feel rough when turning the steering wheel. If only part of the bearings are gone the steering shaft is sitting in a groove. I'm sure how to determine. I had one go bad on me many years ago,seem to remember the horn being a problem.

Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
F
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
F
griff,
Have'nt gone into the steerin' column yet, but looked at steerin' shaft couplers and top one is flanged up. Could the bearings your referrin' to be the cause of this or would it be comin' from the gear box itself? Hey, I appreciate you gettin' back. Have a good week-end we she gets here. I thank ya' again. Outta here... ~ Skip

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
The shop manual refers to this bearing as "Mast Jacket Upper Bearing". Usually when the couplers go bad you just sloppy steering. Shouldn't affect the horn. To get to this bearing you need to pull the steering wheel, horn washer, turn signal switch. The factory shop manual shows special tools to pull and replace the bearing, are they required I'm not sure. As I remember how the parts go together, if there is enough slop in the shaft the horn washer could hit the horn contact. The factory manual doesn't show an exploded view if the all the mentioned parts and haven't been that deep into one for a while.

Larry

F
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
F
Larry,
Goin' ta' find some time today and take a look at column. I sure hope ta' h _ _ l that it is that bearing. Steerin' gear goes for about $200.00+. Probably go to wreckin' yard, if I need one. Will also have ta' get a shop manual, maybe Ebay for any other future references? To reiterate, have a good week-end! Outta here... ~Skip

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
On the shop manual. You will need he 63 and the 65 Supplement to have everything.

Larry

F
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
F
Larry,
I've located 1965 Shop Manuals, will that suffice (you mentioned 63)? Went for a cruise in the C-10 and do a little trout fishin'. Not to good on trout (three), fished for a couple of hours (got to **** windy). Recently had engine gone through and this was the first time runnin' her on open country road - Christ does that puppy dog run GOOD!! Hope the week-end is a good one for ya'. Outta here... ~Skip

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
Skip, I'm confused, manuals? The 65 that I've seen is the supplement, about 1/2 thick, has everything specific to the 65 not covered in the 63 Shop manual. The 63 is about 2 inches thick. I just looked at my 65 supplement and most of the manual is the windows and the four cylinder diesel.

Haven't been trout fishing in years. Used to go the other side of Sonora pass.

What engine do you have?

Larry

F
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
F
Larry,
One of the rag joints is flared up, what could cause this? Had the MS's turn the Steerin' wheel, I watched rag joints and could see the flared up one (steering shaft end) liftin' up the smooth studs on where other joint comes off gear box end. When wheel goes back to, "off pressure postion" joint seed back. I sure hope ta'_ _ _ _ I'm conveyin' this right? A 292er': ) : ) ...
If you have'nt fished for trout in years then you definately have to try some steelheading. Sonora Pass - Nice ride, nice trout, country and fresh air.

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
You might have had one of the two bolts loosen up between the flange and the rag joint and with the slop would cause it to flare up. I would pull the joint apart and file down the flange (make sure the rag joint isn't ripped or torn) and then bolt the two back up tight. I can see where this would cause problem with the column. I have an extra column out of my '65 as I installed a tilt wheel with power steering but Calif. to Ontario is a good 3000 mile trip. Good Luck.

Ontario Inliners
1965 Chevelle
1940 Chev
1965 Chev Pick-up
1970 MGB Roadster

F
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
F
GMDad,
Takin' truck into shop this mornin' and havein' them check out the entire system ($$$$$$$ OUCH! ). "Better safe then sorry", even at the expense of my "thinning" pocket-book!! \:\( Good possibility that there could be problems with steerin' gear box!? Annnnyway I thank you for gettin' back with me and I'll post the outcome of this adventure...Have a good one. Outta here... ~ Skip

F
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
F
Larry and GMDad,
GEARBOX has ta' be replaced (no more room for adjustment) along with steerin' shaft and bearing. We're lookin' at 400.00 bucks. C_ _ _ _ t, talk about a dedicated restorationist! I was told at one time that when it comes ta' restoration, "It never ends". D _ _ n how true that statement is. Outta here... ~ Skip

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Fish, Steering boxes are not that hard to rebuild if you have a manual to follow. Plenty of places sell rebuild kits.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Skip;

If the shop is honest, they will try to fix as much as possible with adjustments only.

Many times grease the fittings & adjust things properly, filling the box with oil (not grease) makes things work fine.

Good luck. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Yeah, You're right John.You reminded me of a '68
Chev 1/2 ton I had with what I thought was a bad steering box as a result of an accident, but in actuallity just needed adjustment that an alignment shop took care of.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 273 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available