Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Hey there fellow inliners,
I posted some questions under Electrical back in Oct. (Troubleshooting 101).....got some good valuable answers to Q's......since it wasn't starting, figured now's a good time to install the 4 bbl carb and headers that have been in the basement, but didn't have much time to do anything else (soccer season for my son,etc.). My wife has a co-worker who is somewhat of a gearhead, he volunteered to look at my truck, he got it to sputter a bit but wouldn't run. I was out tinkerin' the last couple of days, and today it started. Did a bit of adjusting the timing and turned the key and Va-roooooom. It runs !!!!!

It was so good to hear the ol' 292 after 6 yrs. that now I'm REALLY motivated to finish getting everything back together so I can finally drive it. I have to do some fine tuning on the carb, it idles smooth, but she bogs down pretty bad @ 3/4 throttle, and the headers were glowin' orange......but man, it sounds sweet, open headers, don't have my exhaust system yet \:D .Still got a lot of little loose ends to tie up, the interior is gutted, bench bled new master cylinder but the brake lines aren't hooked up yet, ....stuff like that. just want to say thanks to everyone on the BB, the knowledge you guys share would fill a small library. I'll post more updates as progress is made and if I ever learn enough about computers/internet maybe one day I'll be able to post pics.
God bless you,

Frank
-------------
'69 Chevy C-20
292 4 spd. OD Offy intake Edelbrock 500cfm long tube headers 4:56 rears
R
Contributor
Contributor
R
Good to hear shes running, as for the carb sound like your running WAY lean if its getting hot enough to turn the headers red... make sure you address that before you try and drive anywhere.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
If your headers are getting red hot,,, it sounds like your timing is too far retarded.

12 port SDS EFI
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Thanks Rev, it's been a long time coming just to get to this stage.....not ready to drive yet, put the grille,headlight bezels, and mirrors on today.Still have to put the interior back in, and work on some wiring issues. You're right Hank, I'm going to check the timing tomorrow.

Frank
-------------
'69 Chevy C-20
G
Contributor
Contributor
G
Good to hear you got it up and running.
Before you go adjusting on the carb make sure to hook up the exhaust first.

B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
She's running smooth now guys, Hooked up the timing light yesterday, you were right Hank, it was WAY retarded....set the correct timing and no more glowing headers.

G10-250, thanks for the tip....I'm doing a "custom" piece together exhaust system, just got my order from Summit a few days ago. Hate to do it this way, but the $$$ budgeted for this project have been depleted. Had to revise my original plans somewhat,...cut back on some things, totally eliminate some things( such as a tonneau cover for the bed) and leave some things for future projects.

Frank
-------------
'69 Chevy C-20

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Beater of the Pack), 426 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available