Rate Thread
#3384 04/23/04 12:27 AM
J
jjs51 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
how much work is it to replace the 235 with a 250?im also up grading to an open drive line.i know the 250 is a bit longer,but is it a pain to fit it in?thanks
jason

#3385 04/23/04 12:29 AM
J
jjs51 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
sorry i forgot to tell you its going into a 51 chevy sedan.
jason

#3386 04/23/04 12:32 AM
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
to my knowledge jason (don't hold me to this...i'm new, lol) but aren't like...all stright 6's compatible? i know that a 250 will be a little longer then your 235...or like to think i know. so yea...i think it'd fit. but then again...like i said, don't hold me to it.
just my 2 cents...well, prolly half a penny after taxes.

SamWise

1967 Chevy II, 2-door post.
250, 3-OTT.

1969 GMC 1/2-ton.
307, 3-OTT.
DD.
#3387 04/23/04 03:18 AM
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Does your 51 have Side mounts or is it mounted in frt like a 49-50? If it has side mounts it is a near bolt it operation and I can give you detailed discription on how to do it. Yes the radaitor will have to be move forward , this is also simple and the distance will depend on the water pump you are using.Since you want to up date the drive train to open drive,if you use the correct trans, the exsisting rear crossmember will work as a trans mount with a simple electric hand drill operation.Maybe this will help --paul

BAN LOW PERFORFMANCE DRIVERS.....
NOT HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS!!
#3388 04/23/04 01:06 PM
P
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
P
I did this exact swap about 30 years ago in my 50 sedan. I DID NOT move the radiator forward. I pushed the hub on the water pump back on a press, substituted a flatter water pump pulley, and sawed the extra portion of the water pump shaft off. The result was a fan location about an inch further back and everything fit like a glove. I fabricated side motor mounts. As I recall, the cross member was too high to mount my 3speed overdrive tranny, so I had to modify that a bit.

#3389 04/23/04 02:44 PM
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Some 51's had side mounts like 53-54 cars and some didn't. this makes a differnce. The information I was offering was for swaps in cars I have done that were equipt with the 235's mounted with side mounts. The reason for moving the radiator rather than modifing the water pump, was so a replacement pump could be bought " on the Road"and changed with minimum no.of tools.There are several water pumps---short and long----Nova verse Truck and pulley combinations available for late motors so combination controls the amount the radaitor is moved forward. On 53-54 cars when the rad. is move forward you do have to trim the inner hood structure slightly. Maybe this will help--Paul

#3390 04/23/04 04:41 PM
C
Contributor
Contributor
C
Originally posted by paulweldit:
> There are several water pumps---short and long----Nova verse Truck and pulley combinations available for late motors so combination controls the amount the radaitor is moved forward. <
I was wondering if there was any real rhyme or reason to why the different length water pumps.
Is there more than two?
A 64 Chevelle takes the long pump.
The good part books give a measurement and the good parts guy will ask for measurement.
This changes at least the pump pulley required.
So I guess the question is:
You pop hood and see water running out of pump, so what to ask for? If it's a matter of the one long pump or the one short pump, easy enough but there's also two bolt patterns for pulleys and fans too.
Something to be said for writing down just exactly where all the bits and pieces originally came from.

Pete
64 Chevelle
61 C30 Panel truck
#3391 04/23/04 05:12 PM
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Pete your right on-- I start a new note book on every car I build so all this is recorded during construction. If I don't know what it fits ,It's a trip to the Parts Supply and Believe me I probably have not created a lot of Friends in the Auto parts business because of this.hehehehe I don't have any idea how many water punp configuration the were for 194-292 or all the interchange --- maybe some one else does. I do know the shortest water pumps I ever found were for 64 -65 Nova's and some of the longest I ever saw were trucks.As for the fan bolt pattern I have seen this different from box to box for the same part number.Some pumps have both.It just depends on what the pump builder used.

#3392 04/23/04 11:30 PM
J
jjs51 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
i believe the 250 is out of 66 pick up.and the 235 is a 53 front mounts.should i just run electric fans or try to use the regular one?well start this big project hopefully in a few weeks.while we are converting to an open drive line, we are going to install air bags in the rear.thanks for everyones help
jason

#3393 04/27/04 04:39 AM
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
If the car has side mounts the stock 235 block mount for the drivers side will bolt to the 250 block using two of the three mount bosses in the 250 block. For the pass side, make a plate 3/8"thick plate that has three holes drilled in it to match the motor mount bosses on the Pass side of the 250 block.Using a shop made spacerat the top hole,bolt the plate to the 250 block. Once the 250 is down in the frame with the drivers side 235 mount bolted to the 250 block and the 51-54 frame stand, make sure the motor is centered. Then bolt the pass. side 235 block mount back in the frame to the 51-54 frame stand. It will be snug against the 3/8" plate bolted to the 250 block. Now weld those two pieces together.Your done with the frt. mounts.For the trans mount when using a 350 tubo or that length trans , I usually drill two 7/16" holes in the rear crossmember at the point where the rear trans mount sets on that crossmember when the trans is bloted to the motor. Then cut a slot Approx. 3/4"x3" in the bottom of the crossmember to access these bolts.The mount sets neatly on top the exsisting crossmember. I like to use 65 Nova water pump and I move the radaitor forward- 2 1/2" with spacers and long bolts.To Date I have done about 6 of these installations and they worked fine. They were cheap and reqiured very little fabrication.May be this willl help---Paul

#3394 04/27/04 12:13 PM
H
Contributor
Contributor
H
Chassis Engineering makes side motor mounts for all motors into early cars/truck. I picked mounts they made for 292 inline Chevy to my 48 passenger chassis. I'm sure they still have a web site, or check with Langdon's Stovebolt.
Could remove the fan altogether and run an electric unit on a thermostat. Might also contact Buffalo Ent. he has a zillion kits for your year Chevy.

Jim, I.I. #173
(It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!)

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 103 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available