Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#38718 01/15/06 04:42 AM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I installed an 89 S-10 T5 in my 51 F1 226 Flathead, the parts I have put together are; adaptor Plate, I purchased mine from Dwight Bond at Second Chance Auto [second_chance@charter.net] for $125.00 including shipping. A great deal I feel, because the material locally in my area runs $90.00 then it's off to the machine shop. I used the Hogshead or small bell off the truck 4-speed trans. I installed new brass bushings and a new cross shaft that operates the throwout bearing. The pilot bushing was from Flat-O-Products, I just perfer a bushing over the bearing (personal perference) it was around $19.00. For the clutch I used the S-10 disc with a 10" Truck pressure plate with the orginal throwout bearing. The return spring for the throwout bearing housing will need to be used in the T5 just as its hooked up in the orginal trans. I purchased a brass sleeve from Motion Industries EP2228-32 Sintered Bronze Bearing to fit the ID of the throwout bearing housing and the OD of the trans bearing retainer. The Flathead 6 Flywheel needs to be opened up about 1/8" at the center because the pressure plate spring area may rub the flywheel face. I purchased new flywheel bolts with the thin heads from Schucks, and used the red Loctite to secure them. Because the stock driveshaft has a splined shaft on the front I purchased an S10 shaft from the wrecking yard and had it shortened 3 inches to 50 inches. I also installed a 1969 F100 9" 3.23 rearend at the same time to avoid having to modify the shaft twice. The speedometer the 89 T5 has the electronic sending unit, I plan to purchase an electronic speedometer (TPI Quad unit) to replace my orginal gauges. they are the same size as the orginal 51 gauge clusters and shouldn't require the expensive adaptor rings. Pictures of the install can be seen at the link below.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displayalbum.php?&userid=183124&albumid=19501

51 Ford F1
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
back in the '50s i built a couple of flathead six cylinder fords. they were great engines and with a set of dual exhausts, they sounded as good as any chevy. i really irritated a few flathead v-8 boys by beating them at the drags. i lost as much as i won, but winning over a v8 was especially sweet! rated at only 5 hp less than the v8, i had the benefit of better low-end torgue. i'm sure your 5-speed conversion has been very worth while.......

Lord, let me live long enough to do all the projects I have planned!
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Why do you say: i'm sure your 5-speed conversion has been very worth while.......

51 Ford F1
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
because, it always seemed that those engines really needed some taller gears, that the regular 3-on-the-tree transmissions didn't provide. plus, there was a lot of space between those 3 gears. it'd be interesting to compare 1/4 mile times between two identical fords with both transmissions installed.

i know there were some overdrives available, back then, but a 5-speed w/od would have provided a lot better get-away, plus low-rpm highway cruising.

i'd love to have my old '51 flathead 6-powered mainliner today...i'd definately put an S-10 5-speed in it!

it seems to me that your rear gears are awfully tall for an overdrive tranny. i would have thought a set of 3.73:1, or even 4.00:1 gears would get your engine closer to the optimum rpm range.

Lord, let me live long enough to do all the projects I have planned!
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks for the reply Dennis; yea the 3.23 rear end gears are a little high. But I only paid $75.00 for that rear end and thought I would give it a try before changing the ratio. That S-10 trans has a lower 1st gear 3.78 than other T-5s do and I'm afraid if I went with a 3.73 or lower ratio I would be starting off in second. I don't want another granny gear, and besides it seems to be ok at freeway speed with the 3.23 ratio. I would like to do a valve job on the 6 eventually, it sat for 15 years prior to my purchase. The only things I have done to the engine are rebuild the carb and replace the distributor. Once I know the engine is producing 100% then see if I feel the need for a lower ratio.

51 Ford F1
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Update on the 3.23 rearend gearing it is working well

51 Ford F1

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 20 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members