Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
Since Hudson's don't have a place but kinda became AMC I thought I'd post it here.

1947 Hudson Super Six
VIN# 17156300

Block# 166270 CWO 2

Can someone post a link or rattle off the breakdown for these numbers please? The wife's dieing to know what they mean as we start our research.

THANKS! \:D

(O)2(O)5(O)0(O)S(O)I(O)X
PHAT250Six
Git in! Sit Down! Shut Up! Hang On!
And when in doubt... STICK YER FOOT IN IT!
250 L6 in a '69 Camaro
M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
PHAT Hudson and AMC eventually got absorbed by Chrysler. The W.P. Chrysler Museum in Auburn Hills, MI has an extensive collection of all things Chrysler. How much old records and historical data they inherited when they took over AMC, who absorbed Hudson, is hard to say.
If nothing else turns up you might try looking there. Chryslers web site has a link to their museum and historical stuff.

Mike G #4355
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
According to my 1949 _MoToR's Auto Repair Manual_, the "serial number" found "on right front door pillar" and the "engine number" found "on top of cylinder block" are of the same series--171 for the 1947 Super Six--and we might infer that they should be identical. Your 17156300 would be, theoretically, number 56,200 in the series that began with 171101.

In my 1952 _Chilton Flat Rate Manual_, the 1940-47 cylinder head is part number 166268, the cylinder head water outlet is 166271, the thermostat with bypass is 166272, and so on. i don't see the bare block listed, but that set appears to confirm that the number (166270) you're seeing, wherever exactly you're seeing it, is a casting/part number.

According to the Chilton Flat Rate, your engine number should be found at "the top of the block, right side, between one and two exhaust manifold
flange." It should be the same number as the one you find on the "right front door hinge post." Again, 171 is the proper prefix for the 1947 Super Six.

God's Peace to you.

d

P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
Thanks Don! \:\)

We did some digging in the glove box and found the Owners Manual!
(Covered in mouse pee...) :p

I'm going to contact the library and see if they have info on how to treat this book so we can get the stink out and maybe some of the stains too. I paged through it a bit and found some stuff that confirms what you posted but then my eyes and nose went haywire and I had to get a Zip Lock baggie for it. *ugh*

My wife has the Hudy Bug and can't stop researching it. I think she wants to restore it as a tribute to her father. The biggest problem were having is finding paint chips for the two tone paint. She found a website that has the Hudson paint codes and colors for 1946 and 1948 but has info missing on the colors for 1947.

Time to surf for more info!
\:D
*dives into cyberspace* ~~~~~~*phoof!*

(O)2(O)5(O)0(O)S(O)I(O)X
PHAT250Six
250 L6 in a '69 Camaro
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
You'll have to let that Owner's Manual "air out" for a while. The odor will diminish but never quite go away. The Henry Ford Museum used to maintain a web site for "preservation of archival materials" but i find that's now a dead link. You could try this site at Stanford University, which offers links on variety of archival conservation topics for professionals and the general public.

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/

One of these sources may offer a remedy for the odor of rodent emissions, but the most likely and surely the least expensive cure is exposure to fresh air--but not sunshine! Don't let it become a cat toy while it's taking the air.

At the larger automotive swap meets one can usually find literature vendors who offer manuals, parts catalogues, sales brochures, paint chips, and other documentation for all makes and models. When you're undertaking a restoration project, these kinds of printed materials can be invaluable.

God's Peace to you.

d

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Phat,

There is a great resource online in the Hudson/Essex/Terraplane club. They have very active chapters and can help you out with VIN IDs, parts and tech advice. Thanks for sending in the pix of your Hudson and they are shown below. We hope you and your wife have fun restoring this old Inliner!

P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
Thanks for posting the pics Jack! \:D

My buddy made the comment about look at the two vehicles together. There's 50 years of evolution of the "Family Hauler" between them.

After watching the front of the car bob behind us all the way home I had an urge to watch Herbie the Love Bug for some God Only Knows reason...

\:\)

(O)2(O)5(O)0(O)S(O)I(O)X
PHAT250Six
250 L6 in a '69 Camaro
H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
Welcome to the Club Phat!

Make sure you join the HET Club and get into your local chapter.

Parts, Info, and about anything Hudson you are looking for lurks within the HET. Not to mention a superb publication, The White Triangle News.

Finally scored the Hudson I had always wanted to find this past August.

Have fun!

Hudson

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Phat;

There's a Hudson club, I think It's in Santa Monica, Ca.

Good luck, John M.......

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 185 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available