Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
I have a 50 Chev Station Wagon. I'm building a 261 (3/4 race+) with a T5 trans and an S10 4x4 rear with 4.10 gears. I'm concerned that the small car clutch may not handle the abuse and slip. I'm using the car bellhousing. Can I use a 14" truck flywheel and clutch inside the car bellhousing. Thanks for any info!

Contributor
Contributor
You will have to use a clutch that will be splined correctly for the T-5 transmission. I would think that would be the first thing you need to figure out and then see if you can find a flywheel that would be compatible with that clutch, if the stock one isn't going to work for you.

Joe

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Any 235/261 flywheel will fit your '50 bellhousing, But an 11" pressure plate MAY rub inside the bellhousing. This is what I have been told, but haven't tried myself. I believe you can grind the bellhousing enough to make it work, though. I would suggest that you use a flywheel and starter for a 12 volt setup, as the pressure plate is better than the earlier 6 volt version (for 11" clutch). Obviously, the car would need to be converted to 12 volts as well.

What T5 are you using and what is the spline count?

I assume you are using an adapter plate from Buffalo?

Worst case is that you might have to have the flywheel redrilled for a different pressure plate bolt pattern. Let's start with the input spline count, as that will tell you what sizes of discs are available, and you go from there...

Last edited by gearhead; 06/10/08 11:09 AM.

I.I. #3174
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Thanks for the info. The trans is in the car right now, and I don't remember the spline count, but it's the same as a muncie 4 spd. It is different from the early Chevrolet. I had Best Bilt Parts Company, Inc (Clutch & Drive Line Rebuilders), 2527 E Kearney St, Springfield, MO 65803-4968, Phone: (417) 869-0703 put together a clutch disc with the correct spline center.
regarding he adapter, I own a machine shop. I talked to Buffalo. He gave me the dimensions for the adapter. I also had Buffalo lower the uprights to drop my spindles. Great guy!

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (41 Coupe), 135 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available