#3979 06/15/04 05:20 PM
E
echo3 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
E
Hello,

I would like to know if a 292cid engine, with an automatic transmission, will work with a manual transmission? is the 292cid engine internally balanced or will bolting up the flywheel cause problems?

my goal is to bolt a bellhouseing and flywheel from a 250cid to a 929cid that was originally mated with an automatic trans.

thank you for your help.

'61 chevy panel truck
#3980 06/15/04 08:02 PM
M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
The 292 is internally balanced. The 250 and smaller displacement flywheels are not a direct fit and require redrilling of the bolt holes and dowel pin holes. 292 flywheels are not hard to find and might be easier in the long run. Check to be sure the diameter is the same as the auto flex plate so you won't have to mess with swapping starters. The smaller sixes and the V8's used 2 different diameter wheels depending on the year and use of the engine.

At the least have it magna glowed and resurfaced and maybe have it and the pressure plate balanced. Be sure the machinist marks both the wheel and the pressure plate so it will be in balance when you install it. Any 1963 and up 6 or 8 cylinder bellhousing will the 292 and so will any of the older cast iron V8 Chevy bellhousings. You'll also need a pilot bushing in the back of the crank, avail from GM or almost any parts store.

Mike G #4355
#3981 06/16/04 12:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
doing much the same,got a 11" flywheel had it drilled etc,got a bell housing from salvage yard and.....can't get any dust shields to fit.The bell housing is not the full housing but the Chevy 1/2 or 3/4.Got a dust sheild today from Gm to go with the "292"and it fits the block but not the starter hole on the housing,don't know where to go from here.My serial # says the motor is from a G20 or G30 van.I also thought all housings were the same.Darn

#3982 06/16/04 02:27 AM
E
echo3 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
E
ron,

i got these part numbers off of the novac site. mabey they will help you with your shield dilema.

"As of this writing these parts are still available from Chevy as #3704923 for bottom cover and #3734908 for front cover."

'61 chevy panel truck
#3983 06/16/04 08:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the number for the front match what I've gottten,but it does'nt match the bell housing.I'm lost with this one?

#3984 06/16/04 04:03 PM
M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
RE: different bellhousings.

Cast Iron - 55 to 57 passenger car V8, trucks used a similar design but dust covers generally don't interchange with the 55 to 57 car. Dust covers are specific to each bellhousing. Also the 55 to 57 car is not an exact replacement for the cast iron truck units as the mount pads are different. If you are not using the bellhousing as the rear mounting point this may be overlooked.
One other point is the 55 to 57 car used a 12 3/4 inch flywheel so starter installation is a problem if the engine has the 14 inch flywheel.

Aluminum ( one piece design with a small flat front dust cover ) - there are 2 basic models depending on the flywheel diameter. Easiest way to tell is the housing for the 14 inch flywheel has a curved bulge for the starter nose and the housing for the 12 3/4 inch wheel has a straight flat side at the starter location. Each of these housings requires its specific dust cover.
Even within these 2 basic styles there are variations on where the clutch fork hole is located and whether or not there are bosses for mounting a hydraulic clutch slave cylinder.

Sorry if my original reply confused you. I was trying to keep the post brief and limited to the flywhel swap onto the crank.

Mike G #4355

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 88 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GM250at4btdc, fordfan80, Joshbuckman73, 37Clint, Ehb86
6,793 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available