Rate Thread
#48527 03/10/09 09:33 PM
L
leiba1 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
I am looking for a transmission for my 1935 standard 3wd coupe. I want to use a 55-62 235 engine. I am interested in the possibility of using a 3spd with overdrive transmission. I want to end up with a top shifter that will sit pretty much where my original currently sits. I realize the most common arrangement is a T-5, but I would like to at least explore the possibility of somehow using a 3spd overdrive with a top shifter. Anybody heard of anyone doing this? I'm open to suggestions.
Don

R
Contributor
Contributor
R
Yes. In the late 50's I had a 52 Chevy with a 261 in it. I used a late 40's Packard 3 speed which came with an overdrive unit activated by an electrical selonoid. The Packard box was a column shift but it had a top plate with shifter arms on the side. I replace the the top plate with a 37 Packard top stick shifter that bolted right on. It worked well and was a very strong gear box. I doubt you can find them around now-- 50 years later! Maybe a Ford top loader pickup box would work with a lot of adaptation?

FranK Hainey

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GM250at4btdc, fordfan80, Joshbuckman73, 37Clint, Ehb86
6,793 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available